PDA

View Full Version : how can I make a ball joint remover tool?

cbr929rr
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Is there some way I could use black pipe(gas piping) to make a removal tool, I know alot of people just pound the top with the nut threaded a little off. A pickle fork will damage the rubber boots. Has anyone made a tool just for this purpose?

deathman53
10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I damaged a ball joint doing that way of removing the spindle. What I do is use a pickle fork to just put some pressure against the spindle and ball joint and hit the spindle with a hammer, it usually pops off in one or 2 hits. It doesn't dent the spindle either.

REPOMAN
10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
i bought a ball joint remover at the auto parts store. i was replacing the ball joints and it didnt matter if i messed them up or not.

JOEX
10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by cbr929rr
Is there some way I could use black pipe(gas piping) to make a removal tool, I know alot of people just pound the top with the nut threaded a little off. A pickle fork will damage the rubber boots. Has anyone made a tool just for this purpose?
It's been a few years since i've done this so I don't remember how I did it but it involved a socket and turning the nuts around and tapping the spindle with a hammer.

No special tools required:)

300exOH
10-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Here's a post I saved from Leo (former site owner...for those who remember)

I think this is what JOEX is referring to...

You can use different size sockets(longer and shorter ones) to get the job done.

2 sockets, one long and one short and a 15-17mm ?wrench

I usually loosen the nuts till they are flush with the thread end then I put the socket in between and untighten the top or the bottom nut, and repeat for the other ball joint which is still stuck.(the second ball joint usually needs the longer socket to pop the 2nd one out)

when you do this, its a gamble on which ball joint will pop out, not that it matters.

If you hit the spindle and the ball joint pops out you run the risk of bending in the hole were the ball joints goes in.

***NOTE: make sure your castle nuts are on backwards (flat side toward the sockets) so you don't damage the "castle" part of the nut***

AtvMxRider
10-31-2007, 04:54 AM
Take the nuts off and hit the side of the spindle where the ball joint goes in with a hammer and it will pop out.

NacsMXer
10-31-2007, 08:03 AM
I do what 300exOH was talking about. Flip the nuts over and thread them on until they are flush with the ball joint stud. Then I found a single shallow socket and 2 washers (use cheap sockets if you care about your good ones). Put one washer on each end of the socket and place between your two flipped castle nuts. Start backing off the nuts into each other until they start biting into the washers. At this point the top or bottom will pop out, like 300exOH said.

When you have one ball joint to go, I simply used 2 shallow sockets to get the extra height I needed and repeated the process. Doesn't get much easier and is very effective.

Here's a pic of the two socket setup, you get the idea...

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1595/dsc00144fj1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

cbr929rr
10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
thanks for the tips, the photo's are really helpful.

Napalm Nate
02-17-2010, 01:17 PM
this is a great idea cheap and easy very helpful

JOHNDOE83
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I used two C clamps and a piece of wood and they poped out nicely.....

quad2xtreme
02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
don't smack the spindle with the hammer and dent it up. You are on the right track with coming up with a tool. Motion Pro makes one by the way.

Leave the backyard mechanics in the backyard.