PDA

View Full Version : How to deglaze stock cylinder?

07ERider
10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I am considering putting in a new high comp piston in my 07 soon and was curious what the proper way to deglaze the cylinder? The motor probably only has 25-30 hours tops on it so hopefully it wont be too hard to get the cross hatch back.

Anyways I have been told by some to hone it and others tell me a hone wont do anything to the plating? What do you guys do or recommend?

Rich250RRacer
10-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Some may tell you not to hone a Nikasil cylinder, but even US Chrome says it can be done. There are special stones made for Nikasil, but it can be done with a regular ball hone. Going off the recommendation of a friend who runs CR motors in his microsprints, I honed my Nikasiled 250R cylinder with a ball hone and soapy water, not honing oil. It cleaned up very well.

d3ktrix
11-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I just replaced my stock piston with a CP12:1 a few weeks ago and my jug was still perfect after more then 400 hours.

All I did was use a scotch bright pad and simple green to make sure it was clean.
Had no glazing from what I saw, all cross hatches were there 100%.

With ur low hours unless it go super hot or ran low on oil or something I doubt u will need to do anything to the jug.

bloodmoney23
11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
hes got a point. Im doing a 11.5:1 in mine and my crosshatches are perfect and i have at minimum 200 hrs. Took it to local honda shop to have it honed but he said it didnt need anything.