PDA

View Full Version : rolled the 400ex, could i have bent a spindle???

cbr929rr
10-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Well besides replacing the handlebars my left front caliper seems to be frozen and it wasn't before the crash, I don't have reverse therefore I push my atv to reverse in the garage and it tight spots, so I know it wasn't like that before the crash. Five rides ago I replaced the front lines with gafler SS lines and completely overhauled the calipers including removing the piston cleaning seals, slides, greasing rubber slide boots and new pads. So it is not frozen from neglect. When I removed the caliper the hub spun freely so the hub bearings are fine. I then open the master cylinder and pushed the brake pads back and remounted the caliper and it spun freely.
Maybe the piston is not going back in when the brakes are released but the piston is not frozen, I was able to push it back in with a c clamp.
I then checked if the rotor was bent by placing a jackstand behind the a arm and attached a magnetic dial indicator and that also is ok. Could I have bent the spindle when I crashed?
If it was bent I probably could not tell with the indicator because the rotor would still look straight, am I correct with this thinking?
What else could be wrong?
Are bending spindles or hubs common on a 400ex?
Thanks for any help
I want to ride soon the weather is great

maxamillion
10-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Your caliper could be locked up because the caliper bracket is bent. Its that steel peice that your caliper slides on. I just bent mine a couple weeks ago but it also bent my rotor.

Unless your spindle is bent pretty bad its going to be hard to tell.

400exrider707
10-30-2007, 08:39 AM
I have indeed seen spindles get bent, takes a very unique crash/rollover to apply all the forces that way, but I have seen it. I wouldn't think a bent spindle would be causing your problems, but perhaps.

svahle
10-30-2007, 10:56 AM
If we assume the caliper is fine (which it appears from what you wrote that it is) I think the spindle or caliper bracket might be the issue. I suppose a bent hub could also be the problem. The spindle or caliper bracket could cause the caliper to be out of alignment with respect to the rotor. This could cause the pads to drag on the rotor even when the brake is not being applied. The hub might also be the problem. If the hub were bent the rotor might not be aligned with the caliper and could cause the same problem. I would inspect each of these very closely and see if anything wrong can be detected. The cheapest part would probably be the caliper bracket and that would also be my first thought. I think the spindle is the second most likely cause and the hub being the last resort. Again, all of this assumes the caliper and braking system are not the source of your problem.

Also, is the brake catching or is there constant braking pressure? This might help diagnose the problem.

Check to make sure one of the bolts for the rotor have not backed out and are rubbing on the caliper. I've seen that happen before also.

Good luck.

cbr929rr
10-30-2007, 02:58 PM
thanks for the help

The brake does grab constant and in that respect it seems more likely to be the caliper. If the spindle or hub was bent I might have only a slight drag on part of the disc before it gets tougher.

Any more ideas?

svahle
10-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by cbr929rr
thanks for the help

The brake does grab constant and in that respect it seems more likely to be the caliper. If the spindle or hub was bent I might have only a slight drag on part of the disc before it gets tougher.

Any more ideas?

If it is constant, I think you can rule out the hub or rotor. Because they both rotate, they are the most common causes of catching or grabbing. But, a bent spindle or bent caliper bracket would likely cause a constant problem. Also, the caliper could certainly be the culprit.

So I think we've narrowed it down to the spindle, caliper bracket or caliper. I think we have ruled out the hub or rotor.

I would pull the caliper bracket and make sure it is good and flat.

Next, if you have a buddy with a good caliper and bracket you might try them on your quad one at a time so if the problem is resolved you know exact which was the problem. I would try the bracket first because it is the easiest to swap and you won't have to bleed the brakes. If that doesn't fix it then swap the calipers.

With regard to the caliper, check the slide pins for the caliper. If these were bent it might keep the caliper from "floating" and cause your problem. Might also check the slide pins for the pads. I don't really see how they could get bent, but if they were it might cause the pads to constantly drag. You have already ruled out the piston being seized.

Hope this helps.

Big - D Racing
10-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I've bent my tie rod in a bad roll but not the spindle. So check your tie rod.

cbr929rr
10-31-2007, 07:05 AM
If I bent my tierod the wheel would not be locked up correct, it just would not track very straight while riding.

svahle
10-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by cbr929rr
If I bent my tierod the wheel would not be locked up correct, it just would not track very straight while riding.

Correct. But it is something to look at. If you wrecked hard enough to bend a spindle or caliper bracket, you could have very well tweaked the tie rod. No it would not cause your problem.

gotboostido
11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
hey i have a similar problem. heres what i came up with.. the brakes had a slight drag to them. so after looking at them and taking them apart. i decided to apply a little grease to the rotor....haha. no i didnt.... i did however spray some chain oil on the floating pins that hold the pads i also hit the pins with a wire brush. i came up with this because.. the pins seemed a little rusty. and figuried the pads were binding up. and not releasing. hope this can help ya:rolleyes: