PDA

View Full Version : rolled the 400ex, could I have bent a spindle?

cbr929rr
10-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Well besides replacing the handlebars my left front caliper seems to be frozen and it wasn't before the crash, I don't have reverse therefore I push my atv to reverse in the garage and it tight spots, so I know it wasn't like that before the crash. Five rides ago I replaced the front lines with gafler SS lines and completely overhauled the calipers including removing the piston cleaning seals, slides, greasing rubber slide boots and new pads. So it is not frozen from neglect. When I removed the caliper the hub spun freely so the hub bearings are fine. I then open the master cylinder and pushed the brake pads back and remounted the caliper and it spun freely.
Maybe the piston is not going back in when the brakes are released but the piston is not frozen, I was able to push it back in with a c clamp.
I then checked if the rotor was bent by placing a jackstand behind the a arm and attached a magnetic dial indicator and that also is ok. Could I have bent the spindle when I crashed?
If it was bent I probably could not tell with the indicator because the rotor would still look straight, am I correct with this thinking?
What else could be wrong?
Are bending spindles or hubs common on a 400ex?
Thanks for any help
I want to ride soon the weather is great

scruff_mcruff
10-30-2007, 08:58 AM
next

scruff_mcruff
10-30-2007, 09:02 AM
and if the rotor and spindle are running true together then put your indicator on the o.d. of the rotor(thin part) and see how far that runs out. then if that still runs good, id pull the hub and get a 90 deg ruler and check for straightness on the spindle.

cbr929rr
11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
what would symptoms be for a bent hub, what else can happen besides this to stock hubs. Is their weakness bending or breaking or what??

mittman
11-02-2007, 09:07 AM
my 400 rolled 3 times down a hillclimb and the only thing that was bent was clutch leaver and the bars were a little bent and that was all how many times did yours roll

scruff_mcruff
11-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by cbr929rr
what would symptoms be for a bent hub, what else can happen besides this to stock hubs. Is their weakness bending or breaking or what?? generally cast wont bend at all, it will just break. get your indicator to hit the flat spot that the wheels back onto next to the studs, and spin it to see how much if any the 4 spokes run out from each other.