PDA

View Full Version : Hard To Start/Small puff of white smoke help please

400exrapes
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
I can get my quad started and idling but eventually i flood it and its too hard to start. I'm also getting a very small puff of white smoke. I cant get it to idle for more then a minute once i have it running though and passed neutral theres no problems and no smoke. Any ideas?

Honda#4
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM
mit be running a bit lean

400exrapes
10-29-2007, 05:28 PM
I checked the plug it was moblack because of the fact that i flooded it. Normally its the nice tan brown.

400exrapes
10-29-2007, 05:36 PM
well now i went outside to try once more and the same problem happened so i checked to see if i had any compression. So i stepped it down into first which it was not in and i pushed it forward without holding inthe clutch and there waqs compression so i hopped back on to the quad pulled in the clutch and the thing started up in a second? there was no smoke and it rode perfect. weird?

honda300EXtreme
10-29-2007, 05:36 PM
well, it could be a few things,

gummed up carb, i would give it a good cleaning,

the valves could be be tight, (tight intake valves make it especially hard to start and it usually doesnt idle until its warm)

if your running an aftermarket piston, which im assuming you are, they will cause it to puff a little smoke until the engine is warm and the piston is fully expanded

there are a few things for you to check ;)

-mike

400exrapes
10-29-2007, 07:06 PM
thankyou mike. Yes you could call my piston aftermarket but not excactly. I have a honda piston in my cylinder, so maybe i wont call that aftermarket but not the stock piston. Also yeah iwas going to do a valve adjustment(my first) because i assumed that was a good idea, and i have carbuerator cleaner so im going to clean that baby up as well. Thankyou again mike very appreciated.