PDA

View Full Version : back to stock airfilter cover with worked engine???

soda7o
10-29-2007, 03:20 PM
i bought my quad used, its an 05ex400 and it was used for MX and set up for MX. i do mainly XC rocky and muddy terrain and i am not looking for performance just reliablity... so i am slowly getting it set up for my style of riding... bigger tires for ground clearnece, full plastics to avoid splashing etc etc...

so this weekend i go out up in HUnter, NY after two days of rain and hit up some moddy and puddly trails, it was a good time but about 2 miles into the trail we hit some big swampy puddles and got suck here and there... anyway i noticed my engine bogging out... realized i was takign on water.. altho the airbox was above water level. it turns out that while manuevering and getting out of the mud the, mud/water would kick up and bounce off fenders and make its way into my airbox....
so now i want to replace the power lid i have with the stock lid and get the stock snorkle to avoid this from happening again
(since this is the terrain i ride most of the time )

currently the quad has the following owrk done to it...

the motor has a wesico 11:1 piston and a hotcams stage 2, the rest of the quad has:
k&n filter and powerlid
hmf slip-on
fmf powerbomb header

my question is.. if i put back the stock lid and snorkle..
i know i will restrick airflow... but,
will i have to reject?
how will this affect the perfoamce of the quad if i do not rejet?
what are other things i shoudl consider before returning the airbox to stock...

thanks in advance...

(sorry for the long post)

250exkid
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
id only raise the needle like 1 or 2 notches to lean it out a tad bit

JOEX
10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 250exkid
id only raise the needle like 1 or 2 notches to lean it out a tad bit
I belive the 05's don't have an adjustable needle.

If it did, raising the needle would richen the mixture.

bwamos
10-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Generally adding the air box and snorkle back to the quad will significantly change the air flow. In most cases you'll need to drop the main jet at least 2 sizes. Sometimes even 3 or 4.

I run without the lid on my 300ex all the time. I just removed the drain plug from the bottom of my air box so that any water that splashes in will run back out instead of building up. Never had a problem with running it like that. And it can get pretty sloppy here in Missouri, too.

soda7o
10-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Generally adding the air box and snorkle back to the quad will significantly change the air flow. In most cases you'll need to drop the main jet at least 2 sizes. Sometimes even 3 or 4.

I run without the lid on my 300ex all the time. I just removed the drain plug from the bottom of my air box so that any water that splashes in will run back out instead of building up. Never had a problem with running it like that. And it can get pretty sloppy here in Missouri, too.

thanks.. i really hate to mess with the carb.. really hate it and dont want to do it..
i also tought about taking the plug out to let the water train out... mayeb thats a solution.. i guess ill get the snorkle and cover just in case too (its only like20 dollars shipped)