PDA

View Full Version : Newb and need somw answers

dave_04
10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Just got a 2006 SE yzf450, bike is fairly new but i noticed after a few days of riding, first is somtimes difficult getting into. if bike is just parked and i attempt to get into the gears i somtimes have to move the bike to get it to work. Well today i get on it and i feel a loss of power, I can get on full throttle and not pick up the front end. Anyone?

Dr89
11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
you always have to rock a bike back and forth to get it into gear if its just sitting there...thats not a prob.

as for the loss of power, i dont know why your jetting would just change over night but thats what it sounds like the problem is...you all just have a sudden change of temperature? or....? dunno

11-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Where you on a different terrain? Maybe your just getting less traction to where it feels like your low on power. Chances are your not at all. Just not getting the traction. And you must rock a bike back and forth to get it in gear or it wont engage . This has something to do with the shift forks i believe

Toadz400
11-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by walshyfz86
Where you on a different terrain? Maybe your just getting less traction to where it feels like your low on power. Chances are your not at all. Just not getting the traction. And you must rock a bike back and forth to get it in gear or it wont engage . This has something to do with the shift forks i believe

Yea I agree with that.

Take it out on some pavement (if you can without causing too much trouble) and try giving it full throttle. If you still can't lift the front end you must have some major problems!

Make sure to check your oil also. You wouldn't want to seize a brand new engine (or any engine for that matter).

Dr89
11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
unless he's on sand or has bald tires in some dirt thats prolly not the problem. I can bring the front end up in 5th on just about anything...even in sand/mud/water 3rd gear wheelies arent a problem...not to say that i DO know what it is...that just seems unlikely from my experience. then again i wouldn't judge the power of a quad by whether or not the front end will come up either...dave04 are there any other symptoms your aware of? popping, backfire, doesnt rev out...?

crayfz
11-01-2007, 06:31 PM
New clutch

REPOMAN
11-01-2007, 06:57 PM
i have a buddy that just went through the same problem and we figured out that a valve job helped alot

Toadz400
11-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Did it seem harder to start? If it did then it's more than likely your valves needing adjustment.

Otherwise your clutch could be going bad but I doubt it in a quad that's fairly new, my '05 is still on the stock clutch and it's still putting plenty of power to the ground.

Is your clutch cable adjusted properly? Make sure it's got the right amount of play in it. That could make it hard to put in first gear and could cause a loss of power if the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

400exrider99
11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
could also be partionally clogged jets

yfzrider45
11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I had the same problem so i switched to a k&n air filter and took the lid off the airbox....it ran nice and still runs nice

dave_04
11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
thanks for the replys, i messed with the hand clutch adjustment and backed off a tad, seems mutch better.

dave_04
11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
one more question
i noticed that while parked if i tap the throttle the bike wants to bogg! somtimes if im in gear also if i go WOT it will bogg first. Anyone? bike is stock and the onlything i can see is the muffle was removed from the exhaust.

Toadz400
11-07-2007, 08:24 PM
The YFZ's have a common "problem" that causes bogging if you stab the throttle quickly. There's an aftermarket part that's nearly $100 that "fixes" this problem but the problem is actually the leak jet. I believe you get a smaller leak jet and it fixes the problem. Do a search for it and you'll find more information on it.