PDA

View Full Version : where does the oil go???

slow96hater
10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
i just got done putting my 406 top end back on my bike today, brand new. i also am useing a hc stage 1, that is also brand new. i figured id just pour the oil next to the cam, in like those two little cam pockets on both sides, but, how should i go about filling the motor with oil? should i just do it like you do a oil change, or should i drop some in the bottem end before i put my cam cover back on?

im just kinda leary about puting 3/4's of a quart in, and starting a brand new cylinder dry, the shutting it off and repeating till its full. i did use assembly oil, but will it last long enough to get the oiling system full, and not score the wrist pin or even worse, my cylinderwalls?

as far as break in goes also, im figureing on running the bike around a constant 1/4 throttle for about 20 minutes to break the cam in, but how should i go about the piston and cylinder?

thanks for the help everyone.

zrpilot
10-28-2007, 07:03 PM
When I did my engine I oiled the cam after assembly and valve adjust. I squirted/poured oil into the valve adjuster covers.

Then I tipped my quad on its right side an put about 1.5 quarts in the main oil tank and started it ran for 5 minutes at a high idle, then began the piston/cam breakin.

Good luck

drew416ex
10-28-2007, 08:31 PM
The 400 has a good oil pump, it doesnt take long to get oil to the top end. Maybe a couple of seconds. I know because i cranked mine once with the valve adjustment plug off.... OOPS. I usually poor about a quart into the timing chain hole then about a half into the oil tank. Crank it for about 10-20 sec. Let it sit for a minut or two and check the oil and add however much is needed. Even if its low, 10-20 seconds wont hurt it at an idle.

slow96hater
10-29-2007, 03:33 PM
cool guys. thanks for the help.