PDA

View Full Version : Runs like crap like the choke is on, timing?

Blue250X
10-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Today I went outside to start my fourwheeler and it started, but it ran like the choke was on. Wouldn't rev out at all. I took off the air cleaner and snorkel and it got better. When its running, coming out the back of the carb is gas, like it is getting blown out. That worries me, is it supposed to do that? Thats why I was thinking the timing is off a tooth or two and the intake valve is opening early. But taking off the air cleaner and snorkel and making it better sounds to me like a jetting problem. Can someone please help me.

bwamos
10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Sounds like you have a stuck float valve. Open it up (the carb) and clean her out real good.

Taking off the air cleaner and snorkle gives more air. The stuck float makes your fuel level too high, thus making you too rich. So it makes it seem like it helps.

Make any sense?

Blue250X
10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Makes good sense, I did have the carb opened up today, cleaned out all the jets (I thought possibly the main jet fell out) and tore out the floats and cleaned those too. I am going to take another look at it tomorrow, and Ill clean and reassemble everything too. Any more ideas? I was kind of thinking about it and I was thinking about when you kick it over it acts like it blows back through the carb. I'll have to check the timing tomorrow too.

bwamos
10-30-2007, 06:14 AM
If you're getting blowback through the carb, check the cam timing. THe chain may have stretched and jumped time. If it jumps 2 teeth it will start to get blowback. It will still run, but it runs like crap.

Blue250X
10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Thats what I was thinking. I'll probably have to wait till friday to even check though, because I work every day after school.

quad97
10-30-2007, 11:09 PM
You would be surprised what a new spark plug could do, I was working on a quad one time that would start and idle fine, but you could not hardly get it to rev up and it ran like the choke was on. Somehow the plug gap got squished to almost nothing.

bwamos
10-31-2007, 05:58 AM
good point.

Always check the easy stuff first. ;)

Blue250X
10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I need to hop over to the local stealership to get one.

bwamos
11-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Get an NGK# DR8ES-L from the auto parts store.

Or if you want an iridium tip (less likley to carbon foul in my experience) it's NGK# DR8EIX

Blue250X
11-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks, I'll get one from advanced auto then, because at vo-tech we get discounts from there....even though a spark plug isnt really that expensive.:)

atvhonda-rider
11-04-2007, 12:22 PM
looks like u got all ur answers, but liek they said, my 400ex was doin same thing but without gas blowback, i re-jetted, cleaned carb and put a new plug in and she runs fine, it was mainly the plug tho, in the summer i had put a colder burning plug in and i forgot bout it until i got to thinkin what it could be, went back to hotter stock plug and fixed everything