PDA

View Full Version : Wiseco pitson/gasket kit/ clutch cable breakage.

w.va rider
10-28-2007, 01:23 PM
I recently rebuilt my top-end. I put a 11:1 wiseco piston in it and used the gaskets that came with the kit. well my bottom base gasket leaks bad. i mean oil running over the clutch cover case and down the swingarm and on the carb. Does anyone else ever had this problem? or does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do or what the best gasket is out there?

Another thing is i am on my 3rd clutch cable. i bought an easy pull perch and it still didnt help. the cables break down near the clutch case. what is the problem? is the heavy duty cable worth double the price?

2002 Honda TRX400EX
Red with customized grafix.
PRM desert grab bar
PRM thick skidplate
G-Force adjustable axle
Wave rear disk
Block off plate
Holeshot XCR rears
AC Racing nerf bars
AC Racing front bumper
Moose racing bark busters
Maxxis Razr 2 fronts
Wiseco 11:1 piston
Stainless steel exhaust valves
CEET gripper seat
Jetson Racing Exhaust system
RPM twin row bearing carrier
K&N air filter

debating on NO-TOIL air filter.

JOEX
10-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I went with no base gasket, just used sealant and have no leaks. Maybe the surfaces weren't perfectly clean and smooth?

drew416ex
10-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Im not trying to make you feel stupid, just trying to help figure out the problem, but did you torque the cylinder bolts? I only ask because I was nearly finished putting mine together one time and reallized I hadnt done it. Thats all I can figure unless it was torn.

I have found the stock clutch cable is just as good as the others. Is it touching the header? Thats the only time I have a problem with mine.

drew416ex
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I also have done the same thing as JOEX. I ran it with an 87mm wiseco and a hotcams stage 2 and it worked great.

underpowered
10-28-2007, 09:19 PM
the base gasket holds no compression the only way it will leak is if it was not sealed properly in the first place.

i also used to run no base gasket and only sealant. no problems to speak of. either your gasket is torn, or the surface was not completely clean.

Big - D Racing
10-28-2007, 11:19 PM
sounds like to me your surface is not level which is more than likely from not cleaning up the old gasket material. I have never herd of that gasket blowing.

AtvMxRider
10-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
either your gasket is torn, or the surface was not completely clean.

w.va rider
10-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the help. I tore it down and cleaned every little bit of anything that was on the bases. I used silicon ontop and below the base gasket. I just dont want this thing to leak again.:mad: I didnt torque it to specifications the first time because i didnt have a torque wrench. But i call and am going to borrow one from a shop where i worked one summer.hopefully this will fix everything because there are some ladies that want me to take them riding.:devil: I will get back at everyone in a couple of days to tell you if it works or not. Thanks again.

Pipeless416
10-29-2007, 02:29 PM
i hope they have better helmets than you do :macho

w.va rider
10-29-2007, 05:56 PM
LOL. I always wear my helmet man. i was at a friends house and they were takin pics. so i rode to this little spot and then removed my helmet.

97WarriorRider
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah..you can see a helmet in the background

w.va rider
11-03-2007, 09:24 AM
LOL i didnt see that "helmet" until i put the pic on here. Well guys it still leaks but not as bad.i got every imperfection off of the head and it still leaks. I also talked to a friend who owns Outlaw Motorsports and he said he had a guy use silicone on the base gasket and the silicone plugged up the hole that takes oil from the bottom of the motor and puts it in the top end. This made his top end blow out. have you guys plugged this whole. i am just a little worried.

cmaxx
11-03-2007, 09:34 AM
the bolts need to be 33 foot pounds

drew416ex
11-03-2007, 09:34 AM
you can check it out just by taking the valve cover off. Take it off, flick your kill switch to the right or left, and roll the motor over. It shouldnt take long to start to see oil coming out of a hole on the timing chain side.

w.va rider
11-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I torqued the four of them to 33 foot lbs. well they were just a little over like 33.4lbs. Also, do you have to re-torque them after you ride for a while?

w.va rider
11-03-2007, 09:48 AM
The return line coming out of the top where the valves are, can i just see if the oil comes out of that?

drew416ex
11-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I dont think so. You might could by taking off a valve adjustment cap, crank it and see how much oil flow you have. it wont hurt anything, just might get a little messey.