PDA

View Full Version : 250r vs. 450r

iwannaride202
10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
This may be a stupid question....but which is faster stock for stock....the 250r or the 450r.....or with a couple mods....thanx

GOTFEAR
10-27-2007, 10:36 PM
never raced a 450 but think with today's high tek quads i wold say the 450

400ex18
10-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Well i have rode bouth and i have a 250r! 450s are nice quads but i would never give up my 250r for a 450 any day!! but it really all depends on ur riding style!

Jerry Prokop
10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
stock vs stock the 450. A 310r will spit out a slightly moded 450 and laugh, and a 350pv will beet national level 450's and only have about one third the cost in up keep. Gotta love the epa. But at least the factories are making race quads again even if the only reason is to get rich off of 4-poke parts.

Kirt13
10-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Stock for stock, it's no doubt that the 450r would blow away the 250r. The beauty of a 250r is that you put just a small amount of money in to it and it will blow away a 450r.

iwannaride202
10-28-2007, 07:44 PM
well te thing is.... i recently got rid of my 400ex for a yz250(bad idea)....i like the dirtbike but not near as much as i love my quads....so now i am thinking of getting a new quad and was really thinking of getting a250r.....i raced my 400ex in the local xc series here is wv....and i was basically just wodering if a 250r would be my best bet for the price....because i really want to get back into quad racing....

redrooster310r
10-29-2007, 05:32 AM
common now.... TWO STROKE SCREAMING 4 EVER!!!!

AJ's Blaster
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
just remember that there is a reason honda never brought back the 250r. It can't compete with the big boy 450's. and i don't know what you guys are smoking saying a slightly modded 250 destroys a 450. You guys need to worry first about beating the other quads in your class like the z-400. and about maintenance i would love to see a two stroke that will outlast my four.

250r4life
10-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by AJ's Blaster
just remember that there is a reason honda never brought back the 250r. It can't compete with the big boy 450's. and i don't know what you guys are smoking saying a slightly modded 250 destroys a 450. You guys need to worry first about beating the other quads in your class like the z-400. and about maintenance i would love to see a two stroke that will outlast my four.

forgive him fellas... im certain he was dropped on his head repeatedly as a child...

:devil:

mineralgrey01gt
10-30-2007, 01:45 PM

maybe you should study up on 250r's a little more before bagging on them like you did. I put everything I have on it that a 250r outhandles ANY new 450, and with a few mods it will outrun one. Sucks for yall it takes 2x the motor to outrun us 2 stroke boys

Nac's22
10-30-2007, 01:58 PM

what ever you wanna think there pal............. i can tell this thread is going to be like every other 250r vs. 450 thread

Creech52
10-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Umm....look at the 250R section....we all have 2 strokes made from 86-89, I would say they have lasted pretty long. So you can go longer between rebuilds...our parts are half the price and while your adjusting valves every other week (complete exaggeration) we are out roosting dirt. a 250R head isnt filled with more parts to wear out, much like the R communities heads arent filled with all this 450 hype. Dont get all pissy because you bought into the latest greatest atvs and now we are raining on your parade...and honestly...this is the 250R section and our opinions may be a little biased.

Hoppedrap
10-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Me versus a LTR (sorry kracker) and TRX 450, it sure was lonely upfront

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HtFdFt7C7c

criminalpoet
10-30-2007, 05:02 PM

LOL! Well isnt this the funniest thing ive read in a while lol. Sorry to burst your bubble there but Honda stopped making the 250R long before all of these new 450's started to be born lol, so being able to compete with them has nothing to do with it. For one thing, you wouldnt even have the 450's of today without the 250r and thats a fact. Funny thing is, a well built R will smoke a well built 450 lol. The reason why I know this is because my well built R is always smoking well built 450's in the desert races.

Sure, if you look on paper you will see that a dyno war between a built to the gills 250R and a built to the gills 450 is about the same, or comparable. The difference is, is that the 250r will achieve max power twice as fast as the 450. And there really is no comparison in the handling aspects of the two either. Nobody that I know that has owned both will say that the built 450 handles better than the built R lol.

Look through all of these boards on this forum and take notice as to just how many guys are going back to their 250Rs and selling their fart cans.

deathman53
10-30-2007, 06:35 PM
There is a reason why I like my 2 strokes, its so easy to work on them and it really cheap. I had motor problems with my crf450r hybrid, cam chain stretching out wiped out the nearly complete top end, the only thing that could be saved was the the cylinder, head and cam, it wasn't cheap either!!!!!!!! Honda stopped making the 250r in 89, due to lawsuits and enviro-nazi's. The demand for a high-performance atv died, too. In 98 when honda released the 400ex, one of the reasons they didn't re-release the 250r was because of enviro-nazi's and they said in 1997 that they were going to change their line to 4 stroke. They wanted a 4 stroke line. Look at honda, they are the leaders in clean air technology for car, do you really think they would re-make a 2 stroke in 98??? When their car lines were amoung the cleanest and leading the way???? Alot of the racers still rode the 250r's, untill 04 and 05, when AMA rules killed them off. Honda killed off the cr500 in 01, 250, 125, and 80/85 stayed around untill this year. No more 2 strokes from honda in 08. Yes, the new 450's are great bikes, I own a ktm and honda 450, but they don't come close to being as easy to work on as a 250r or half as cheap.
The war between 250r and 450r is a pissing match, neither side will win. The difference is almost anybody can ride a 4 stroke, you can run it a gear high, some tracks you can basically keep it in 3rd or 4th gear for the whole time. The 250r is completely different, clutching in corners, alot of shifting, being able to control the wheel spin and the power band hit. It takes someone who knows how to ride.

iwannaride202
10-30-2007, 06:41 PM
so i am guessing yes... they are still competitive against the 450's in woods racing....

Nac's22
10-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by iwannaride202
so i am guessing yes... they are still competitive against the 450's in woods racing....

to answer your original question yes they are competitive. if you have a head on your shoulders and know how to ride you should have absolutley no problems.

Creech52
10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
case closed
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=319215

redrooster310r
11-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by criminalpoet
LOL! Well isnt this the funniest thing ive read in a while lol. Sorry to burst your bubble there but Honda stopped making the 250R long before all of these new 450's started to be born lol, so being able to compete with them has nothing to do with it. For one thing, you wouldnt even have the 450's of today without the 250r and thats a fact. Funny thing is, a well built R will smoke a well built 450 lol. The reason why I know this is because my well built R is always smoking well built 450's in the desert races.

Sure, if you look on paper you will see that a dyno war between a built to the gills 250R and a built to the gills 450 is about the same, or comparable. The difference is, is that the 250r will achieve max power twice as fast as the 450. And there really is no comparison in the handling aspects of the two either. Nobody that I know that has owned both will say that the built 450 handles better than the built R lol.

Look through all of these boards on this forum and take notice as to just how many guys are going back to their 250Rs and selling their fart cans. FART CAN!!! THATS IS F'N FUNNY!! HOW ABOUT BARBIE BIKE!!!!!!

redrooster310r
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
just remember that there is a reason honda never brought back the 250r. It can't compete with the big boy 450's. and i don't know what you guys are smoking saying a slightly modded 250 destroys a 450. You guys need to worry first about beating the other quads in your class like the z-400. and about maintenance i would love to see a two stroke that will outlast my four. OH MY GOD.... ATTACK OF THE BARBIE BIKER !!!! LOOK OUT!!!

AJ's Blaster
11-04-2007, 11:22 AM
you guys take a whole lot of time to say nothing. To begin with I never said 4 strokes are easier to work on, they are more reliable, so drop that. second the suzuki lt250r came before the 250r so no the honda did not cause the new 4 stroke wave. and wow you were right the 250r was around a whole 4 years!! The yfz has already been around that long and isn't close to leaving. Now when honda had the chance to bring back the r they decided to start the 4 stroke craze with the 400ex. funny really not a two stroke. the only thing the 250's contributed was frame goemetry which is the best in the business. and the 250 was banned from only a select few race classes yet almost everybody is running a four stroke now, wierd huh. and one last thing if you build a 250 and a 450 you will have the 450 spanking the 250 everytime. No this does not include big bores because big bore vs. big bore the 450 still wins. And i don't really care if you beat 450's in drag races because untill that person on the 450 is bill ballance or someone around his caliber you have no credibility with me.

400ex18
11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
im just going to say this!! both the 450 and the 250 are great bikes! i have rode them both and i own a 250r, but i dont care wat anyone says the 250r is a lot more funner to ride then the 450 it takes more skill to ride a 250! but anyways to prove my point both are great quads, but i have always hurd its not the quad its the rider!!!!

csr250r
11-04-2007, 11:46 PM
you guys take a whole lot of time to say nothing. To begin with I never said 4 strokes are easier to work on, they are more reliable, so drop that. second the suzuki lt250r came before the 250r so no the honda did not cause the new 4 stroke wave. and wow you were right the 250r was around a whole 4 years!! The yfz has already been around that long and isn't close to leaving. Now when honda had the chance to bring back the r they decided to start the 4 stroke craze with the 400ex. funny really not a two stroke. the only thing the 250's contributed was frame goemetry which is the best in the business. and the 250 was banned from only a select few race classes yet almost everybody is running a four stroke now, wierd huh. and one last thing if you build a 250 and a 450 you will have the 450 spanking the 250 everytime. No this does not include big bores because big bore vs. big bore the 450 still wins. And i don't really care if you beat 450's in drag races because untill that person on the 450 is bill ballance or someone around his caliber you have no credibility with me.

^^ dumbass dont even talk. ur not convincing anyone.

I race motocross on my 265 its not a bad bike at all, yes 450s are better for motocross; less fatige easier to ride all that stuff.

for motocross 450s are better, but i get sick of dumbasses like mr aj here that dont give the r any credit at all, its an amazing quad decades ahead of its time and it can still be competitive in anything.

stock for stock the 450s are better- but i hope so damit they are 20 years newer, its pathetic that the 250r can compete with anyting 20 years new let alone have a better frame and handling.

250s are easier to work on, for the money they can be made faster easier.

450s better for motocross, face it they are the future wether u like it or not less breakdowns

250s are what started it all and still the 2nd best class of quads in my book and that is sad because they are 20 years older lol its awsome seeing ppl still rockn Rs out there. eventually i will be on a 450 but as for now i dont mind my 250r

criminalpoet
11-05-2007, 03:58 PM

No actually I wasnt just talking about drag racing, but now that you mention it I smoke them at that too lol. I was actually talking about desert racing, 150+ mile races balls out. I take them in the tight technical stuff and on the long long straight stretches. I pull them on the hole-shots too and no, im not on a big bore motor. 270cc class stock cylinder long rod motor built to the gills by 1 Dir Racing. Man I sure wish that you from out here in New Mexico so that we could let our bikes have a go at each other in the desert and get it on video.

AJ's Blaster
11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
well to begin with I never said the 250r was a bad bike. the 250 is a great bike that was well ahead of its time. but that is the key its time was the 80's not 07. now i am not arguing the 250 is bad i have ridden them and i do have alot of respect for them but to compare them to a quad that is well out of its class is ridiculous. they can't and never will compete with the 450's and you guys need to open your eyes and realize that.

criminalpoet
11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
lol, they can and they do compete with the 450's, just not on as large of a scale as at first. Its not that 450's are better bikes, its just that they are the "Popular Thing" right now and the age of the bike has nothing to do with it either. The Yamaha Banshee has been unchanged since forever, but its still the fastest drag bike out there PERIOD! Different bikes for different generations thats all it boils down to. I will say this though, the new 450's are waaaay more user friendly power wise than the old 250r's. But, when your racing someone like me thats an 32yr old knucklehead on a bike that only feels alive when he's about to die your gonna have big trouble on your 450 trying to beat me lol.

It sure would be great to get some input on this subject from the likes of JJones though, from what ive read in some of my older mags (up to 04) he was still pretty stuck on his 250r.

AJ's Blaster
11-07-2007, 03:29 PM
if you want to involve interviews, in a new magazine of mine john natalie was asked about what it was like starting out racing and he said that the 250 cost too much for an average starter to build. not until he got his yfz450 did he feel as if he was then an equal and could compete.

criminalpoet
11-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Well stock for stock there really isnt any comparison between a new 450 and an old 250R from the 80's lol. I mean these new 450's come with piggy back suspension and some really potent motors that arent even half as held back from the factory as the motors of the 80's or 90's. Im merely writing in terms of built bike vs built bike.