PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless internet

TheFontMaster
10-27-2007, 03:40 PM
What I'm trying to do is hook my wireless router up to a desktop, that still has dial up interent, then run my laptop's internet off that. I got it to the point where I have the router hooked up, and the laptop is getting a signal, but it's not getting internet. I tryed unpluging, and pluging the router in, and restarting both computers, and I still wasn't getting internet to the laptop. Anyone on here that can help me out?

sly400ex
10-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Are you at least getting a signal/ IP on the laptop that there is a connection? (11mb or whatever)???

IOWAracer
10-27-2007, 04:36 PM
pretty sure u cant send dial up through a wireless router and if for some reason you have somthing that will u might need to run an install on the router for the PC

wilkin250r
10-28-2007, 02:57 AM
You don't have the standard setup. It's rather difficult to explain the difference, but I'll try.

Nowadays, most people connect a broadband modem to their router in order to connect to the internet. The main key is that, to the router, the modem pretty much looks like any other network ethernet connection. The modem is a stand-alone device.

However, YOUR setup is different. You aren't connecting to a modem. YOU are connecting to another computer, and asking to use the other computer's modem. Do you see the difference?

It's like a public pool at your local park, or your neighbor's private pool in his back yard. Anybody can use the public pool, just pay your $2.50 to get in. But if you want to use your neighbor's pool, you need to knock on his front door and ask permission.

What you are looking for is certainly possible, but it needs to be set up specifically. It's called Internet Connection Sharing.

Unfortunately, I don't know the details, but a web search will reveal articles like this (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics) that might help guide you through it. I suggest reading more than one article, and going through your own computer's help menu.

TheFontMaster
10-28-2007, 05:34 PM
I get what your saying Wilkin. I do have a separate modem too, if thats something thats easier to set up.

wilkin250r
10-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I do have a separate modem too, if thats something thats easier to set up.

I suppose it would depend on the modem, and your router. How does your modem connect to your computer? Is it an ethernet cable? USB? Some other method?

I'm not an expert on computers and networking. I just happen to come across the Connection Sharing a while back when I was setting up a goofy network. That's how I know about it.

I didn't actually have to USE it, hence the fact that I can't give you a walkthrough. But I can't imagine it's all that hard.

killroy
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
go spend $20 on a router dude. thats what they make them for

TheFontMaster
10-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the help, but my parents finaly decided to call the phone company and get I think a broadband internet connection.