PDA

View Full Version : 250r transmission oil

joeroadking
11-05-2002, 08:31 AM
just built 2 250r motors new cranks bores etc, would like peoples recomendations on wht would be the best premix oil to use for extended crank life and also what grade of oil I should be using in bottom end always used 10-40 someone else told me 80-90 weight gear oil is better.
1986 250r 4 wheeler

300exazzkikr
11-05-2002, 12:52 PM
I use regular motor oil. Remember that the clutch is a wet clutch system so whatever oil you put in there hits the clutch. Someone told me that 15-50..I think..not exactly sure on that number but that was the best for clutch wear and what not..Someone else know??

Extremeracer167
11-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Klotz Flexdrive 30 is pretty good stuff. Me and my dad ALWAYS ran it in out 2 strokes since it came out, and neither one of use EVER had any problems with it. We also used R50 for the Premix. Love the smell 2!! :D

XANDADA
11-05-2002, 02:58 PM
I currently use Maxima K2 premix and Maxima MTL 85 wt. tranny oil with positive results. The only thing I have ever used that I won't recommend is the Maxima castor 927. The 927 gummed the living heck out of everything. The K2 seems to burn much, much cleaner. Just my experience...

yellowex01
11-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Xandada What are you doing this weekend? There is some kind of quad fair at state 8 .. Wanna go??

beerock
11-05-2002, 05:59 PM
well, I run maxima castor 927 and I just tore aprt my motor and it was very clean inside....

I run straight sae 30w oil in the tranny and it works awesome..

the multi weight oils tend to break down faster....

the sae 30w always drains easy and my gears look new everytime I split the cases the gears looked NEW..

just be sure to change the oil after every 2nd to 4th ride...

I feel the 80w-90 is not needed....

I stay away from synthetics in the tranny....

XANDADA
11-06-2002, 07:43 AM
yellowex01, hmmm...demo new quads on a 3 acre course and drool over a bunch of expensive toys? I'm definately interested. :D I've been trying to coax one of my buddies into getting a quad and a test ride might take him over the edge. The weather is supposed to be really nice on Saterday and I was hoping to go riding. Is your R up and running yet? Let me know what your plans are. I'd do the quad fair on Sunday since the Browns aren't playing - not that they've played much any other weekend, but at least they aren't on TV.

Beerock, just curious why don't you like the synthetics?

yellowex01
11-06-2002, 01:24 PM
I am just waiting on the front peps to come in and I should be ready to take er' for a little spin.. Sunday sounds good for the quad fair.. Email or pm me your phone number and I will give ya a call..

scott

wilkin250r
11-06-2002, 02:51 PM
DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL.

Even regular motor oils can cause problems. Alot of oils have friction modifiers added to them. These friction modifiers can cause problems with the wet clutch, causing severe clutch slippage, which can burn your clutch real quick.

For a general rule, motorcycle oils are usually safer. They don't have the friction modifiers added to them. Though they are usually more expensive.

Bean
11-06-2002, 02:59 PM
i use Golden Spectro 0-80w oil full synthetic, no clutch slipping, or anything of that sort, thats what i suggest

nuttynewt
11-06-2002, 03:21 PM
As far as crankcase oil goes I use Belray 80wt GearSaver oil. Very good stuff. However, my motorcycle mechanic guy swears by Honda HP 10-40 because he says it has no detergents or anti-friction additives, which cause premature clutch wear. Whatever you use, and everyone has their own opinion that they will swear by, THE KEY IS TO CHANGE IT OFTEN. Example, you would be better off to use Havoline 10w40 and change it every 2 hours than use the best hi-tech $20/qt oil out there and only change it every 20hrs. Since there is no filter, all your clutch fibers and metal shavings from gears, etc. circulate through your oil.

In my opinion Champion Water-Pumper mixed at 32:1 is the best 2-stroke mix you can use.

Just my .02...

MX26
11-06-2002, 03:37 PM
I use Klotz SuperTechniplate and Klotz tranny oil. As a matter of fact, I just put my motor back together and it looked awesome inside.

airheadedduner
11-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Bean
i use Golden Spectro 0-80w oil full synthetic, no clutch slipping, or anything of that sort, thats what i suggest
Spectro is awesome. From what my local expert told me is that it is a 20wt oil with the strenght of an 80wt. So it makes clutch pull smoother and shifting easier. I didn't beleive it at first but after trying it I will never go back to anything else.

I get redline premix for 29.50 gal so I run that, It smells good!!:D