PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axel Bearings

daiglea
11-05-2002, 08:28 AM
I am changing my rear Axel bearing tonight and just need to know what to expect. Is it **** or is it pretty strait forward.

Thanks guys:devil

11-05-2002, 08:29 AM
It is a pain in the butt..look in the FAQ section,,there might be some pointers in there..put the new bearings in the freezer before you install them,,and put the carrier in the oven to help it expand so the bearings come out and go in easier..if your lucky..:D

daiglea
11-05-2002, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the tips. It's the first time i take out the axel and i have no shop manual at all so it's gonna be fun. Any one got a site that can show me how to doe it. Online shop manual of some sort.

Thanks

tprender
11-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Do some checking, there have been many posts about doing the bearing. The best trick that I found out a few years ago is to hear up the carrier around the out side with a torch and the hit the carrier on the workbench a few times and the old bearing will just about fall out.
Best of luck.

daiglea
11-05-2002, 09:38 AM
How hard is it to take out the axel. Is it just a matter of unboting and taping it out.:devil

bakerboyz
11-05-2002, 11:10 AM
The only pain in the ***** I had was getting the disk brake holder off the axel. Alot of tapping and prying required.

Also be careful of the o-rings. there are around 5 that need to be put back or replaced. I had to replace them.

I had to destroy 1 on the bearings to get it out. I used the oven method to install the new ones. Worked great.

Good luck

Lil90man!!
11-06-2002, 09:23 AM
i thought it was fairly easy to get the axle out but i did have a few problems on mine. the disk brake holder was coroded(sp) on so bad i had to just take a peice of wood the the right side of the axle and a BFH to get it to come out, but it came out:blah the snap ring was a little tedious to take off(the one next to the caliper holder) (this was much easier after i found this WONDERFUL tool called snap ring pliers:P the lock nut took a little work not much(just lifting up the back of the bike with a 3 foot pipe wrench and me jumping on the grab bar:eek: ) the worst part of all though was getting the bearings out. i heated it 3 or 4 times and couldn't get it to come out eventually i used a screwdriver and pushing the spacer to one side and hitting the inner race as hard as i could the inner race and the bearings came out along with the spacer. but then i had to get the outer race(i guess that's what u call them?) i had a friend do it that did it before he just put a cheisel on it and hit it down until it cracked it half then we put the cheisel through the carrier aginst the other side and it was frozen in there, finnally it went cracked the carrier where the brake caliper holder goes over it, we just put it back together becuase the holder "should" hold it closed:confused: :huh other n that it was ok:D:blah. sorry so long and confusing:P

daiglea
11-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I realy would like to have the manual to be shure i don't break anything but i'll make do with all of you suggestion's..

Thanks for the help all

PS If you have anything else that can help me let me know..

Blysster
11-07-2002, 05:51 AM
I will be changing my bearings for the first time in a week or so... I have just ordered them today. Any suggestions and hits would be appreciated!!

daiglea - You should really look into getting a lock nut for your axle, they are well worth the money. I found that once the stock lock nut was taken out it will not stay tight anymore.

Oh, and don't forget to take out the snap ring, the lock nut really won't come off, lol

daiglea
11-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Were are you from in New-Brunswick?

Blysster
11-07-2002, 06:14 AM
I'm in Florenceville now. I lived in Moncton for 2 years tho...