PDA

View Full Version : Weird electrical problem

Ex_Rider43
10-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok guys ,

I tried everything and it still doesnt work ,

during the qualifier in Montreal , my bike stalled , I thought the engine blew up but it was the stator bolts that broke , sending the stator right in the flywheel.

the stator had a couple of broken wires so i replaced it by a new one , the flywheel looked like a brand new one so it stayed in place.

I have the CRF ignition in my bike , i got everything back in place , and it doesnt start , doesnt make any spark at all , I checked tried 2 coils , sparkplugs and still no no spark.

At that time I thought the CDI box was toasted. My CRF ignition kit is from an 05 CRF , my friend had a '02 CRF CDI and Harness so I replaced my harness my his and it still doesnt make any spark..

what you guys think about this ?

tank69
10-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't really understand why all the electronic swapping, is there some major gains by going to the CRF stuff? At any rate, I would take it all back to stock electronics and see if it runs. If it does, replace parts ONE by ONE and see where the failure point is.

Ex_Rider43
10-26-2007, 05:19 PM
well id like to do this , but i need another left side cover to put the stock stator back in it..

I like the CRF wiring better because theres almost no wires on it , and because of the smaller flywheel. it really like to rev with this thing.

you guys think the flywheel could be damaged ? its the only thing that I didnt changed... but like I said it still looks good.

TRX450RACER174
10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
There is a capacitor that stores energy for the lack of battery on the kicker for start up so i wonder if that could of shorted out when the stator wires broke, have you checked it? i would imagine the CRF ignition would be similar to the 450r.

Ex_Rider43
10-26-2007, 05:34 PM
there is no capacitor on the crf :(

TRX450RACER174
10-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Well my only other thought is something shorted when the bolts broke, I'm not familiar with that ignition is there any type of pickup or magnet that could get damaged on the flywheel, maybe check one of the 2 wheeler forums, I know the ignition is simple but it's gotta be something overlooked.

Ex_Rider43
10-26-2007, 06:03 PM
well i checked the pickup coil and current still goes throu it.. the new stator too.

tank69
10-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Ex_Rider43
well id like to do this , but i need another left side cover to put the stock stator back in it..

THen I would eliminate everything you can change and leave the stator alone.

Rulz
10-27-2007, 07:27 AM
How do you know it's not getting spark, did you remove the plug and kick it in the dark to see if you are getting spark? Pull the plug, pour a small amount of fuel down into the cylinder, reinstall plug and kick and see what happens.

Possible kill switch or ground wire issue?