PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Swingarm Pivot Bolt

r-exrider0003
10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
So ive began my tear down, motor is totally ready to come out, all mounts, cables, and oil lines are out except for the swingarm pivot bolt. Me and my brother tried and tried... we got the left side nut loose, and beat on it with a hammer for a while, nothing. So then we got out to torches and heated it up for a good while, and at the same time still hammering on it.... It didnt move at all... wont spin, or move...As the bolts already somewhat mashed we figured we could try and cut it out... nope couldnt even get to it, and when we did there wasnt enough room to do anything. So im thinkin im going to have to cut the swingarm up into pieces if i want to get this thing out, which is more of a trouble than cost because ive gota extra entire rear end lying around that i could easily toss on it... but i really dont want to waste a swingarm if i could just get it out..... Ive searched the topic and found a few ways... mainly just tip it on its side and soak it with pblaster for a few days, but anyone else have any other ways? or better ways? thanks for all in-put.... really need it

gncc025
10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
that pb blaster idea helps a LOT though. same thing happened to me, i just soaked it in pb overnight, got a pick and hammer and with a little patience it came on out. if i were you id go ahead and start soaking.

j450rking
10-26-2007, 06:40 PM
well thats what i did and it worked. and when you get it out make shour to put a grease fitting in one end and plug the other with a bolt and drill some small holes in the bolts so you can grease it without taking it out

Barrymaxx
10-26-2007, 08:42 PM
This might sound rediculus, but its sledge hammer time.

Once its in the swingarm, then you use a socket extension. And beat the crap out of it.

Once you get it to move a little it isnt so bad. You can oil it and piund it back and fouth untill it comes out. You will probly need a new bolt once this is said and done.

JOEX
10-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Be careful with the sledge hammer, it's very possible to bend the frame or at least the tabs where the bolt mounts to.

r-exrider0003
11-26-2007, 09:43 PM
okay so i've had it on it's side soaking it with pb blaster for around 2 times a day for the last week and a half. its time to get this thing out, instead of the sledge hammer and the beating, my brother made a steel box that wraps itself around the frame in and out to prevent bending and then he's going to put a jack inbetween the pivot bolt and the frame he made and hopfully that will do... if this doesnt work, and niether does beating, isthe only other way to cut the swinger? any tips before we start? thanks for all the info

Big - D Racing
11-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I had the same problem with mine the first time I took it a part, switched from hammer to sledge and it came right out. All it needs is one good hit from a 5lb sledge. Use some sort of extension to hit so you don't know the frame. When you put it back together put a good amount of waterproof grease on there. I have taken my bike apart about once a year and have never had that problem again. It comes out every time with a hammer and some light hits too. The first time it's hard I thing they really don't grease that thing from the factory or the dealer.

Ruby Soho
11-27-2007, 05:41 AM
we had to cut mine out. the pivot bolt is still frozen in the case, so we're going to drill it out. thing will NOT move, its been in there and never greased since 1999, no hope

r-exrider0003
11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
well its been about two weeks with pbblaster... tonight me and my brother went out and hooked up the heavy frame type thing he made and began jacking only to find that the bolt didnt budge AT ALL.... i thought maybe it was just a bad idea with the jack and whatnot so we tried a heavy sledge and at the same time he was using the impact trying to loosen it... nothing at all, wont turn, wont move... i have no idea what to do besides cut it if we can get to it, and if not i guess were going to cut the swinger.... this sucks... i'm guessing its because the kid that had it before me was a dumb***** and left it outside for like a year... all the bearings and shocks were shot when i got it.... what a waste.... but any ways, any other ideas? thx

liljhall09
11-28-2007, 08:41 PM
ok i just had mine done , i couldnt get it out for days , tried hammer and everything . i took it to gt thunder and they used this drill with a long bolt thing that pushed up against the swingarm bolt and he pushed against the bolt while the drill was vibrating it out . The drill vibrated and pushed on the bolt at the same time . I dont know what the machine is called , but u might want to ask around. It worked great and the bolt slid right out !

Ruby Soho
11-29-2007, 10:17 AM
deffinatly might want to invest in some grease fittings for the new bolt!

SRH
11-29-2007, 05:58 PM
did gt thunder use a hammer drill , for concrete???

i just got done getting mine out of my ex, the big problem is with the nut off, the frame can flex, so since the bushings are frozen to the bolt, y our pounding the swingarm to one side, heres what i did, i took 2 screwdrivers and wedged them in between the swingarm and frame, hit them in if you have to, take a fine chisel and get it to wedge between the head of the bolt and the frame, get it stuck in there, i got a big *** sledge, watch your motor, and give the bolt a good whack , after some persistance i got it, make sure u leave the nut on so u dont peen the end of the bolt over

Pipeless416
11-29-2007, 06:38 PM
when i was tearing my brothers quad down i couldnt get his pivot bolt out either. i brought it to the shop at work where a mechanic used an air chisel and got it out in like a minute.

r-exrider0003
12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Well... we couldnt get it out at all, so we have began reconstructive cutting... i really didnt want it to come to this, but we've been cutting on it, started with shifter side- cut the bolt off, then we cut the bushing in the middle (bolt was totally frozen in it), and now we are trying to cut the brake side. its putting up a good fight, once we get the motor out, any tips on getting the half hacked bolt out of the engine? my brother thinks it will be alot easier, but im doubting it. bearings/bushings were totally shot, how much would a new set cost & how hard will they be to put in?

redrocker
12-04-2007, 09:59 AM
I drilled mine out

Unverfehrt400ex
12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
i had the same problem with mine a few years back. tryed the sledge and everything. finally just took the torch and carefully cut the bolt into pieces. once that was done and the swing arm was came off it was pretty easy to get the bolt and bushings out of the swingarm itself.

Ruby Soho
12-05-2007, 06:23 PM
were drilling whats left of the bolt out of the cases on mine

witech
12-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Just accept that it will not be reused and drill it out. With a good bit you could be done in a few minutes instead of the beating the heck out of the quad and wasting days and days with other methods.

r-exrider0003
12-06-2007, 08:25 AM
yeah well im not really worried about the bolt, it was mushroomed from the sledge, and we were planning to cut it anyways, plus my brother works at a hardware store and can get bout any bolt for free... now what i worried about is how to put in the swingarm bearings.... i have no idea, is it hard? i was planning on getting a Pivot Works kit, but are there any that are better or better deal? thanks again

Ruby Soho
12-06-2007, 09:49 AM
i have a pivot works kit sitting on my bench, im waiting for another swingarm (hopefully ill have one soon). it seems good, looks like its what the stock parts are just in a package..

86 Quad R
12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
i've engineered a puller out of parts that are avail at the local hardware that is built along the lines of the one pictured. it works well for removing and installing the bearings.

http://fstg.motosport.com/motographics/images/products/hardparts/tools/mproswingarmtool.jpg

Moded86R
12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I've also had this problem as well as a freind of mine.

I used a hammer and got it.

My freinds wouldn't move.He used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.It barely fits in between the swingarm and the motor.Took alot of cutoff wheels also.

Still better than ruining a swingarm though.