PDA

View Full Version : Aviation fuel ?'s

danney f
11-05-2002, 02:29 AM
I have read on here that some people run aviaton fuel/jet fuel in the quads. Is this true? If it is do you get it at your local airport, who do you ask for when you call or go up there and what do you ask for? What does it usually run, pricewise. What is the octain rateing of it? Is there a conversion formula for mixing it with 93 octain? I know its a lot of ?'s but I would like to know?
Thanks
O by the way before everyone starts with the "you don't need it unless you ran 12.0-1 or high compression ratio, I am running 13.25-1"
Thanks for all the help and info!

tprender
11-05-2002, 06:40 AM
What I have been told is not to run Avation fuel. If you can get race gas, get it. Avation fuel is not tested as much when it is made and one can will be different from the next. It is also made to run at high attitulits and lean conditions. Maybe this is true, this is what I have been told.
Race gas is tested very much and each barrel is just about the same as the nex one.

Wheelie
11-05-2002, 02:48 PM
tprender--

I have been told the opposite, from what I've heard, race fuel is less consistant than aviation. Aviation fuel has to follow strict guidelines for quality.

I've been running aviation fuel in my 400 for the last three years and no problems/complications yet. There is a airport near the dunes that sells it for 2.10/gallon.

Ex'r Marlin
11-05-2002, 08:05 PM
If I remember right... Dirt Wheels or another magazine did a write up about aviation fuel. They commented that the aviation fuel has a different formulation than the "race gas". The aviation fuel is designed for low rpm engines. There was quite abit more information on this subject.

Anyway... Both fuels meet stricter guidelines than the pump gas we all buy. Aviation is extremely strict due to the fact that the fuel goes in an airborne vehicle.

Good luck... I hope I was of some help.:confused:

300exHILLER
11-05-2002, 08:30 PM
I tryed to pm you but your box is full so here it is.

Hey, danney f I'm planning on getting the poweroll 297cc kit(can't go over 300cc's for racing) for my '01 300 but I don't know what compression to get. I know the higher you go the more you have to replace i.e valve springs, hardened rockers, heavy duty clutch springs. Why didn't you go with the poweroll cam and stuff? How is the difference in power with the kit? Low to top end? What I had in mind was getting the 297kit the $195 cam and valve springs & clutch springs from poweroll. Where can I get the best for my money? Weather it be poweroll cam & stuff or another companies stuff? What pipe you running? I just ordered the sparks X-4. Sorry so long but just wanted to get it out in one PM. Let me know. Thanks

Gusto
11-05-2002, 09:49 PM
Aviation Fuel=Kerosene, just a bit off on the flash points. If I was your shoes, I would cut Aviation fuel with gas. I'm not a chemist but the lead in gas helps with the cooling of your motor.

danney f
11-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know of a site that may have some info?

300exhiller I'll PM you as soon as I can on what info I can offer, I'm at work right now and I'm a little short on time tonight.

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

Woodsrider
11-05-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Gusto
Aviation Fuel=Kerosene, just a bit off on the flash points. If I was your shoes, I would cut Aviation fuel with gas. I'm not a chemist but the lead in gas helps with the cooling of your motor.

Ummm NO. Kerosene is not the same as aviation fuel. JET FUEL = Kerosene,JP-4 I believe. Av-gas is like 102 octane leaded.

Not flamin' just sayin';)

danney f
11-05-2002, 10:26 PM
What does adding kerosene 50/50 with 92/93pump gas =?
I figured aviation fuel would have a higher octain than that.

Woodsrider
11-05-2002, 10:38 PM
In another post someone said it will increase it to 108 octane. I wouldn't try it with out some home work.

danney f
11-05-2002, 11:32 PM
He was just j/king. Thats what I thought but like I replied to that post "You never know"

Gusto
11-06-2002, 11:27 AM
You want to bump your octane rating...read this guys article
http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/photos/cars/audi/toluene.html

danney f
11-06-2002, 11:31 AM
I think that is one of the web sites I put in another thread called "homebrew octane boosters". Have you tried it? I still haven't heard of anyony trying this.

SandyCrab
11-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Aviation fuel is 130 octane at sea level, and 110 octain at 3,000+ feet. It is actually alot better than race gas, because race gas makes your bike run alot hotter.

DGR Designs
11-07-2002, 05:12 PM
i have av. gas all the time. my father works at the airport 130/110 is absolutly right.

ridinthedunes
11-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Something about aviation fuel taking out some of the heavier
molacules that are used in regular fuel to make it lighter.
Can't remember exactley (and really didn't understand at the
time) but something about a fast, colder burning molecule and
a snow, hotter burning molecule, Seems like one of them was
heavier than the other so they extract some of the heavier ones.
So I think this means that 110 octane race gas is different than
the same octane in aviation fuel.....burns different.
I do know plenty of guys that love it though. Just wanted to
add my 2 cents.
R/T

danney f
11-07-2002, 10:46 PM
I called out to our local small airport and asked about it. They said they couldn't help me because I was going to use it in something other than an airplane. I geuss I should of told them it was for a land based rocket ship. So I called the atv shop and bought what they had. I believe he said it was Sunco's 110 octane, I know it was 110 but not sure by whom.

honda250xrider
11-08-2002, 06:55 PM
while running avation fuel does it make it smell like race gas i love that smell and could you run race fuel with avation fuel or would that not mix thanks

11-08-2002, 07:58 PM
It's just pretty much race gas.. yu need to do some mod's though to ur motor before you run it or it will blow like a aerosol can in a fire, it smells good and runs cleaner, and also increases hp, you can 50/50 mis 93 with ferosene and it becuase 103 or 108 octane too.

honda250xrider
11-08-2002, 08:57 PM
what kinda mods are u talkin about like harnded rockers and tatium vavles port-polish bigger carb well i got all that stuff but is that the kinda mods you are talkin about or do i need something else

RED121572
11-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Danny,

You are refering to "Cam 2" I ran that stuff in my ole Grandnational.

danney f
11-09-2002, 04:44 PM
I just found the receipt and it says "Citgo 110 leaded"
and I just saw that they offer Dyno jet chassiss dyno services. Cool, I'll have to check that out and see how many horses old Betsy's putting out.