PDA

View Full Version : Need to know, is it really worth it?

yellow400ex05
10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
The mechanic where I take my quad to get fixed and parts put on said that instead of buying TCS triple rate front shocks with remote reservoirs, he could order me a set of Elkas with triple rate spring without the gas part for 475.

My question is would the gas part be worth buying the TCS?

I would save a lot of money only paying $475 for the elkas instead of $875 for the TCS.

also I'm going to be racing MX

amonomous
10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
dont do it
especially since you'll be racing
the tcs is a much better shock dollar for dollar
every person i've known that has had the elka recs has said they wish they didn't waste the money

tank69
10-25-2007, 01:26 PM
This is a great case of you get what you pay for...get the ones with rezzies, you won't be sorry!

tar
10-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by amonomous
dont do it
especially since you'll be racing
the tcs is a much better shock dollar for dollar
every person i've known that has had the elka recs has said they wish they didn't waste the money

exactly x2 you won't be disapointed with TCS

svahle
10-26-2007, 04:06 PM
First, TCS makes a great product and you will be happy with them. Second, if you intend to race, one of the last things you want is shock fade. The rezzies help keep the fluid in the shock cooler and help prevent shock fade. Third, I expect you will get a more adjustable shock in the more expensive TCS shock. I personally feel suspension is one of the most important parts of the quad. I prefer suspension upgrades over motor upgrades. So, I feel the ability to have more adjustment in the shock is very important and would spend the extra money for these features.

wilkin250r
10-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I know many people that are extremely happy with their Elka shocks, but I won't get into a brand "X" vs brand "Y" debate.

Instead, I will give you information on your decision of the "gas part". It's called an external reservoir, or rezzie for short.

Without going into ALL the details, let's hit the basics. As you use your shocks, they heat up. If they get hot, they lose performance until they cool down again. In normal riding, it's not a big deal, they just get a little warm. But if you're racing MX, they get beyond warm, they get hot. In just ten minutes or so, you can see a HUGE decrease in performance, they just go to crap until they cool down again. And this is in the middle of a race, this is exactly when you NEED that performance.

THIS is the job of the external rezzie. It helps keep your shocks cool. They don't really add "performance", they just allow you to keep that same performance for the entire race.

If you were just doing trail riding, maybe jumping with your buddies, I would say you don't need the rezzies. But if your racing MX, the rezzies are a good investment. Not only will they help your lap times toward the end of the race, but with less jarring and bumping, they'll save you money in other mechanical problems as well.