PDA

View Full Version : Motor Problem...Help!!

tireman43
10-24-2007, 09:59 PM
I put the new stuffer crank in and went to turn the motor over and nothing. It wont spin. I tore back in to it to see what the deal is but can't see it binding or catching on anything. If you loosen the bolts that hold the cases together slightly then it spins. As far as I'm aware I shouldn't have to modify the case. It's a 42mm which is same as stock. What did I do wrong or what did I miss??:confused: :confused: Any help would be great.

Reimer Racing
10-25-2007, 07:01 AM
Try taking a rubber mallet and tap the crank back the way you pushed it in. The bearings could be "loaded" to one side.

tireman43
10-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

jetmedic
10-25-2007, 08:29 AM
bearings are definately loaded. remove crank seals and tap inner race of bearings to be sure they are seated on the crank. If you installed bearings on crank first then heat cases around bearings and tap cases around bearings. when i say tap i dont mean use a 20oz framing hammer use a soft mallet.

hotquads1
10-25-2007, 08:30 AM
check crank side to side play , there should be some play when shifting the crank from side to side . .008 -.012 with a dial indicator .
marc

tireman43
10-25-2007, 08:45 AM
When I get off work tonight I'll take it apart and check the bearings. Everything your all saying makes sense. I installed bearings first and then tapped the crank in. I installed the clutch side(splines) first then I tapped the stator side(case) over the crank. This is my first build so it's a learning experience. I will take it apart and try installing the bearing on the crank first.
I did check side to side movement last night and there isn't any. I hope this confirms the loaded bearing theory. Thanks for all the help thus far. Kevin

markvette
10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
i always put the bearings in the cases then install the crank. no need to tear it apart. just tap the crank with a mallet and it will spin. it is binding on one side and needs to be tapped over a bit. if it dont work on the one side then try the other.

Mark

Nichols Atvs
10-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Kevin did it work for you. Let us know . We need to move you up to engine tec 2 if it did . But you will still need to take the writen test .:D :D :D {You forgot about the test didnt you !) lol

tireman43
10-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input. It is together and working great. It was loaded bearings. I took the seals out and tapped the inner race with a flat ended punch and that worked like a charm. Haven't fired it yet due to a missing nut for the flywheel(apparently my garage floor ate it), but I am visiting the hardware store tomorrow to get one. This forum and it's members came to the rescue in more than one way. Thanks again

I think I can take the written test now Heath. Still a long road to master tech but I'm working on jack of all.:D

jetmedic
10-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Good Job! When I have hardware fall on the garage floor I dont even look for it anymore I just consider it LOST.

Nichols Atvs
10-26-2007, 07:57 AM
YAh well give you the test

1 . What do you use to fix your mini quad

a) Beer

B ) Wrenches

C) Beer and wrenches

2. Who loves mini quads

A) Beer

B) Wrenches

C) Beer and wrenches

3 . What type of racing fuel smells the best

A) Beer

B) wrenches

C) Beer and wrenches

Please use a #2 pencil and no looking at your neighbors paper. You have 15 seconds to complete the test. Your time starts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOW!! GOOOOOOO!!:cool: :D :D

kenjolly
10-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Guy's dont worry you know i allways have left over parts. hahaha

jetmedic
10-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Half my tools are in the woods across the street:D

tireman43
10-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
YAh well give you the test

1 . What do you use to fix your mini quad

a) Beer

B ) Wrenches

C) Beer and wrenches

2. Who loves mini quads

A) Beer

B) Wrenches

C) Beer and wrenches

3 . What type of racing fuel smells the best

A) Beer

B) wrenches

C) Beer and wrenches

Please use a #2 pencil and no looking at your neighbors paper. You have 15 seconds to complete the test. Your time starts ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOW!! GOOOOOOO!!:cool: :D :D

15 seconds is not enough time. This is a harder test than I thought. LOL! I'll have a beer and think about it.

Nichols Atvs
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
DING Ding ding!!!! We have a winner !!You have got all the answers correct you are now promoted to Engine tec 2. The big Question is Did it start?

tireman43
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Don't jinx me before I get home Heath...I found a nut today at lunch(no cheap shots), so I will give an update in about 2 hrs.

Nichols Atvs
10-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Sorry Ill Just have to wait But hurry and get home!!!

tireman43
11-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Sorry I didn't get an update posted until today. I have been out of town since Sunday on business. We got it going finally on Saturday afternoon. I forgot to plug in a wire and it took me a while to figure out which one. It runs very strong and pulls hard with me on it. We lined up next to a Pred. 90 with high comp. head, carb and a few other things. It took off like it was shot out of a gun and took the holeshot and walked thru a few laps with ease. Thanks guys for the help.

Nichols Atvs
11-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Took holeshot thats great ! Penny well spent id say Gald you did it your self . YOU ARE PROMOTED TO ENGINE TECH 3 ! (Extra points for the hole shot !)

hotquads1
11-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Took holeshot thats great ! Penny well spent id say Gald you did it your self . YOU ARE PROMOTED TO ENGINE TECH 3 ! (Extra points for the hole shot !)
yes, you are promoted to Tech 3 but you will be on probation for 30 days for forgeting to plug the wire up !
marc

tireman43
11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks.

I'm happy to be done with it and glad it is working so great.

Thanks for the tech 3 status, but I don't remember drinking that much beer to be in this prestigious catagory yet.LOL:D

The probation is well deserved for a stupid mistake. What really makes it bad is that it took until about 2pm Saturday to find it. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Nichols Atvs
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Admiting there is a problem then fixing it on your own . This is the
reason for the jump . But that is why you will be under constant supervison for the next 30 days . NOW LETS GET OUT THERE AND PROVE YOUR SELF . Nice work !! :cool: :D :D

tireman43
11-01-2007, 11:14 AM
:D :D :D