PDA

View Full Version : a couple hotcams questions

05trx400exridr
10-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I want some more top end on my 400ex, so im thinking a stage 2 hotcam is what I want. Will I loose any bottom end power, and are there any downsides to this cam? And also, will this cam work well with a stock motor? I still have my stock exhaust on, so will I be wasting my money if I get a cam before I get a pipe, or will I still see a big power difference? I'm not dead set on a hotcam stage 2, so im open to any suggestions.

zrpilot
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Unless you plan on future mods, like increasing compression, I would not run the HC2. I would think a HC1 would be better choice on a basically stock engine.

Just my $.02 worth

zrpilot
10-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Further evidence:

Someone alot smarter then me wrote this and it makes sense to me

"I see a lot of discussion about the HC stage 2 vs. the HC stage 1 for a stock compression engine. I've done some calculations to define how much the stage 2 might hurt bottom end performance. If you read the entire first post then you know that the issue is the loss of compression from the intake valves staying open a long(er) time. Compression is a dominating factor for producing low end torque. Here's the difference:

Taking into account the valve specifications:

Stock cam cranking compression at 1000ft = 8.2:1
HC stage 1 cranking compression at 1000ft = 7.8:1
HC stage 2 cranking compression at 1000ft = 7.6:1

If you go to a 11.0:1 piston (instead of the stock 9.1:1 piston) then the numbers change to:

stock cam: 9.9:1
HC stg 1: 9.5:1
HC stg 2: 9.2:1

(figures may not be absolute but the comparison is accurate)

Thanks GPRacer2500 !!!

05trx400exridr
10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Yea that all makes sence about loosing compression and bottom end. Would a stage 2 work better with an aftermarket exhaust and possibly a 450r carb, or do I need higher compression for it to work well? I'm not sure that I want to go with a stage 1, because I mainly want more top end. I know I could do it with different gearing, but I dont want to loose my bottom end either.

F-16Guy
10-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Either one will work fine with what you have now. The 400ex has so much torque already that you probably won't notice the additional bottom end loss from the stage 2. I have the stage 1 in my 416 and it pulls great. My friend has a 450r with an HRC kit and we're pretty close racing up dunes at Little Sahara, Utah. If you plan on going with a higher compression ratio piston in the future, you might as well go with the stage 2. If you're not sure, or have no plans to change the piston, go with the stage 1. Both will give you mid and top end gains; the stage 1 just minimizes the bottom end loss.

05trx400exridr
10-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Do you guys think that a stage 1 cam and a bigger front sprocket would be a good setup if I want more top speed without loosing any bottom end, and using the stock piston? I think I can get a good deal on a white brothers E series full system from a buddy too.

81 clark racing
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
with the mods i have listed i love my stage 2. no bottom end loss. id go stage 2