PDA

View Full Version : Any tip's/tricks for wrist pin install?

beobe99
10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Im editing this cause I called the circlip's a wrist pin! hehe my fualt.. I def. know the difference im just tired i guess latly.

Im looking for help on getting the clips in here.. not the pin.

sorry for the confusion...................................

So I went to put the first wrist pin CLIPS in (I checked the manual seems they skipped the wrist pin circlip install part)

I tried it with my hands no luck of course, then busted out the needle nose being very carefull not to scratch anything..

Lucky me the ring/clip shot across the room. I found it about 30 mins later in a box of nuts and bolts (yeah)

Am I missing something here? I don't remember it being this hard with my other bikes. Its not a C clip its more like a bent round peice of strong *** wire..

Any ideas?

atvmxr
10-24-2007, 03:30 PM
:confused:

put the circlip (or whatever you want to call it) on one side. then put the pin in from the otherside. Then put the clip on that side. you can not put the pin in, if the clip is already there.....the clips are what hold the pin in place.
it should slide together pretty easily. throw a little premix oil on the pin for good measure.

beobe99
10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
:confused:

put the circlip (or whatever you want to call it) on one side. then put the pin in from the otherside. Then put the clip on that side. you can not put the pin in, if the clip is already there.....the clips are what hold the pin in place.
it should slide together pretty easily. throw a little premix oil on the pin for good measure.

sorry for the confusion here atvmxr thats my bad. I did refer to it as the wrist PIN but ment the circlips.. Im having issues getting the circlips in.

Thanks

RichM1983
10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I usually install one circlip in the pistton before I put it on the bike to make it easier to get that one in and lessen the chances of losing it. Once I do that I put the pin and piston on the rod and then put the last clip in.

Its tough but what I do is put half of he clip in the hole of piston with the whole clip turned perendicular to the piston. (Make sense?) Instead of putting the clip in flat so that it matches the whole I turn it sidways so it is pointing in towards the whole. This way I can force it in and turn it on its side as I push and it usually goes in. It hurts my thumb a little but its not that bad. Thats how I do it atleast. Hope it helps.

Aceman
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I do it just like Rich says, and just to add/clear up a few things. Insert the circlip into the one side of the piston with it laying horizontally, not vertical. Keep the circlip gap facing out towards you. Shove it in, centered on the groove, now shove the wrist pin in from the other side to push the circlip vertical and into the groove. Put some paper towels over the crank and put the piston onto the crank, slide the wrist pin through, and insert the other circlip the exact same way. Don't forget to coat your wrist pin/rod bearing with premix as well before you install it. When your finished you want the circlip installed with the gap facing down. A pick tool works wonders also to help seat the circlip.

beobe99
10-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys. I understand how to assemble it all, I've just been having trouble getting those dam clips in.

Rich I'm pretty sure I understand what your talking about and I'll try it tonight.

Aceman, also thanks

After shooting the one clip across the room I lost it haha! I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks

beobe99
10-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys I got the clips on and the the piston installed.. Used some oil and force and they went in.. Pistons now installed.. thanks

Thanks

C-LEIGH RACING
10-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I remember some time back, was a company had a tool that would install the cerclips.
Was made out of plastic tubing.
You insert the clip in the tube end then it had a plunger that would push the clip into place, worked like a tampon I guess you could say.
The end of the tube had a taper to it & would make the dia of the clip smaller than the hole in the piston & would pop right out into place.
Only problem, cant remember where I seen the tool, may have been in an old Dirt Wheels mag.
Neil