PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Big Bear help needed...

jnjtrukin
10-24-2007, 07:18 AM
I have a 2002 Yamaha Big Bear 400 2x4. The thing ran like a beast until last winter I was living somewhere different and made the mistake of storing the bike outside uncovered during the snowy wet Ohio winter. (I know this was STUPID)
when I went to start it up this spring it wouldn't start so I replaced the battery. Started up fine after replacing the batter but it only has about 1/2 the power it used to, the motor sounds like it's rev'd out but you'r only going about 30 mph in 5th gear and when you try to go up a hill it really runs out of power.

So I started with replacing/.cleaning the items I thought could be the cause. I cleaned up the front breaks, made sure the pistons weren't stuck and there was no drag, there also seems to be no drag on the rear wheels when I have it jacked up with the bike in neutral. I then replaced the air filter and spark plug thinking they could be the culprit, but no luck, bike runs about the same. So I moved on to the carb, took it all apart, cleaning all the jets, floats, bowl, slide and other sections I could find, put it back together and in the bike, but still the same issue. The only improvement is now the bike will idle without the choke on.

So I could use some guidance on what else could rob the power from the bike like it has, it's a very noticable difference.

Thanks,
Jason

400exrider707
10-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Dump the gas out of that tank, thouroughly clean the carb again using cleaner and compressed air, you'd be surprised how much gunk can hide in there, clean the air filter and check the intake/exhaust for mice nests. Change the plug too, that should help a ton.