PDA

View Full Version : Twist Throttle Vs. Thumb Throttle

Bkillerp
10-24-2007, 12:31 AM
All I can say is I was the most skeptical person in the world to switch from a thumb throttle on a quad to a twist throttle. I thought "there has to be a reason quads are sold with thumb throttles and not twist." I made switch because it was only a $50.00 dollar gamble and I could always switch back if I wanted. I can tell you one thing, I will NEVER EVER own a quad with a thumb throttle again. I threw away my thumb throttle because it's just a waste of shelf space at this point. I was out at the Imperial Sand Dunes last weekend and it was my first test ride with the new twist throttle. I never felt like I had more throttle control on a quad in my life. I knew it would probably be fine for the hill and the drags, but my main concern was just regular "dune'n" and riding the "whoops." Man, was I wrong! It was so much easier and smoother. Turning wasn't even an issue. Most people I talk to about it think when you turn right with a twist throttle you're automatically going to loose throttle, but when you turn left you're going to gas it. It's not the case at all. IT ROCKS and I'll recommend it to anyone. What are your thoughts?

Drewltr450
10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
thatt twist throttles suck for whelies and jumps

atvfrk10
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
its all rider preference, i personally cant ride with one, i rode with one on my 250ex, and about killed myself, couldnt imagine it on a 450, but then again, on of my friends races A at nationals with a twist and rides it just fine, all depends on the rider.

Speed_MDS2
10-30-2007, 07:15 AM
I don't mind them in the dunes and out in the open but for tight woods riding they are disaster waiting to happen.

450rJam
10-30-2007, 07:32 AM
agree, open riding its great.............no thumb fatigue (good deal)

wheelies/jumps take some getting use to, I too had a twister on my old 250x, after you get use to it you can ride longer but I think I would kill myself with a twister on anything with power

thumb is safer for most but if you grew up on dirtbikes I think you may have an advantage in the change over

richwynn1
11-04-2007, 01:44 AM
i'm not tryin to start anything but what where u guys doing owning a puss quad like a 250x. how old were u? my first quad at 12 was a 300ex then at 15 a 400ex and now ltr450

450rJam
11-04-2007, 06:20 AM
if at age 12 your father bought you a 300ex for your first quad he should have been kicked in the nuts

im glad you didnt kill yourself, my son started on a trx125 and I questioned myself if that was too much at the time

believe me, if you learn how to ride to the limits of a 250x then when you are truely ready for a 250r/400ex/450r then you will be a better rider for it

also, alot of us have been riding since before quads and 3 wheelers where around, my first motorized toy was a honda trail 90 (didnt even look like a motorcycle, the tank was under the seat, but that was when I was 8 yrs old)

oh yeah, the 300ex isnt a big enough advantage over the 250x to call it a "puss quad"

Drewltr450
11-04-2007, 08:32 PM
well im 13 and just bought myself an ltr450 6 months ago and i havnt goten hurt on it i feel more unsafe on a 300 cause theres no width to them compared to the ltr

450rJam
11-05-2007, 04:39 AM
im curious how you "earned" the money?

ringoesroadking
11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
250ex, 300ex both puss quads! I rode a ported, piped carbed, lt250r when I was 11. And yes i woulda smoked your son. And If I still had it i would smoke you on your 450

450rJam
11-05-2007, 03:52 PM
well I thank you for being up front with your intelligence there ringo

some people you have to get to know before you figure out their full of crap, I do appriciate you letting me know from the get-go
that your over flowing

I do pitty you

mmbtv
11-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I personally don't know anyone can use a thumb. The control is much better in the rough stuff, woops, hard braking, etc. But I did grow up racing mx bikes or did I stay at a Holiday Inn.

Speed_MDS2
11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
well I thank you for being up front with your intelligence there ringo

some people you have to get to know before you figure out their full of crap, I do appriciate you letting me know from the get-go
that your over flowing

I do pitty you

So funny! LOL

Twistedmetal696
11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by richwynn1
i'm not tryin to start anything but what where u guys doing owning a puss quad like a 250x. how old were u? my first quad at 12 was a 300ex then at 15 a 400ex and now ltr450

Well man if I were you i wouldn't act tuff cuz a 300 is nothing compared to my first quad. i started out with a mid 90s blaster frame and what ever parts i could buy cheap. After about 6months of hard farm work and alot of custom fab work I had a blaster with a banshee motor in it that would have made any person with a brain piss themself. Oh ya did i mention i was 14. Your not so tuff now are ya? Y don't you stop pickin on ppl that don't have the cash flow that your dad did.