PDA

View Full Version : widing kit

400exdude18
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
anyone run this set up befor http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-300EX-or-250X-A-arms-Shocks-Widening-Kit_W0QQitemZ170161739841QQihZ007QQcategoryZ43974Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

400exrider707
10-24-2007, 05:32 AM
While thats an inexpensive and easy way to widen your quad, it is very bad for handling...

read here: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433

glamiskid395
10-24-2007, 08:56 PM
my dad is running the +6 kit on his 250ex and he loves it.
he has said anything about handleing differences, other than it turns a lot quicker than before.

400exrider707
10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
my dad is running the +6 kit on his 250ex and he loves it.
he has said anything about handleing differences, other than it turns a lot quicker than before.

I really hate to get into this, because the last thread like this turned into a flame fest and got shut down.

However, its not a matter of preference or maybe it will work, it is an engineered calculated exact science that proves it is worse handling. Much worse. Anyone who purchases one of these kits obviously knows little about suspension design, or just doesn't care, no offense. So to take a testimonial on how it rides from someone as such, I personally would take with a grain of salt. JMO.

If you read the article, it explains exactly why these kits are no good, the info is there, read it if you'd like, if not its still up to you, it's your machine to put it on, and its your safety in the hands of the product. I dont think the risk of your quad or your body are worth it, especially since you really gain nothing from this. I dont want to get into this again, so if you have any further questions, please just PM me, otherwise I'm done with this thread.

Thanks. -400exrider707-

300ex mxracer
10-25-2007, 12:16 PM
i run one and can tell from experience- dont get it. if you think about it, the geometry is wrong. the pivot points for the a arms are different from the pivot points of the tie-rods. when the suspension compresses, it throws the steering geometry off.

bradley300
10-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I really hate to get into this, because the last thread like this turned into a flame fest and got shut down.

However, its not a matter of preference or maybe it will work, it is an engineered calculated exact science that proves it is worse handling. Much worse. Anyone who purchases one of these kits obviously knows little about suspension desgin, or just doesn't care, no offense. So to take a testimonial on how it rides from someone as such, I personally would take with a grain of salt. JMO.

If you read the article, it explains exactly why these kits are no good, the info is there, read it if you'd like, if not its still up to you, it's your machine to put it on, and its your safety in the hands of the product. I dont think the risk of your quad or your body are worth it, especially since you really gain nothing from this. I dont want to get into this again, so if you have any further questions, please just PM me, otherwise I'm done with this thread.

Thanks. -400exrider707-

the reason you and everyone else keeps having to go thru this is because people think wider is better, and if its more stable, it handles better. but there is much much more to handleing than just turning

10-25-2007, 02:27 PM
having it even 2" total wider than stock you would see a difference with being more stable. Personally I would go with a-arms because bumpsteer can occur with widening kits. Exactly the point wider isnt always better but in most cases it is to a certain point like increased stability but your geometry can be screwed up too.

glamiskid395
10-25-2007, 10:05 PM
i have riden my dads 250 on a 2 or 3 hour ride during one of the last trips because my head gasket and 2nd gear went out on my 400ex. it felt a lot better than it did before the kit and it was a lot smoother ride. i did not notice any bumpster from this widening kit. the only downside is that the kit made the 250 lose front travel, but thats no problem since it is not used for jumping, just duning.

thats all im going to say. not trying to start a flame war. i would not do this kit to my 400 because i do not want to trust it to hold up under the jumping i do, and dont want to lose travel.

-g-kid-