PDA

View Full Version : Dead Start Starting Procedure

national425ex
10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I know alot of you guys race GNCC and Harescrambles that use a dead start. Im just wondering what are some of the procedures everyone uses? Does anyone hold the throttle in a little while kicking? Those that use the rekluse clutch, Do you hold the throttle any while kicking? Im looking to get better at my starting and would like any help I can get. I 450r is a kickstart by the way. Sometimes at the races I see guys barely kicking over there bike, Im guessing that is to clear out any un-burnt gas or something, Anyone know anything about that?

10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I just kick mine and it starts right up. I'm usually in the top 3 around the first turn. When the valves are adjusted right and the jetting is on it should fire right up.

Rich250RRacer
10-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by national425ex
I know alot of you guys race GNCC and Harescrambles that use a dead start. Im just wondering what are some of the procedures everyone uses? Does anyone hold the throttle in a little while kicking? Those that use the rekluse clutch, Do you hold the throttle any while kicking? Im looking to get better at my starting and would like any help I can get. I 450r is a kickstart by the way. Sometimes at the races I see guys barely kicking over there bike, Im guessing that is to clear out any un-burnt gas or something, Anyone know anything about that?

My '04 starts pretty well, but with my '07 I kick and pray at the same time. 9 times out of 10 it doesn't help :mad:

400exrider707
10-24-2007, 05:34 AM
NEVER hold the throttle while kicking on the 04/05 motors.... EVER

Scro
10-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Having the valves adjusted and the carb jetted correctly is the key to the bikes starting fast and consistent. And as he said, never touch the gas.