PDA

View Full Version : DRG Little Sahara test ride!

xsr_racing28c
10-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Well I am just waiting to get back from my first dune trip out to Little Sahara in Oklahoma and I just wanted to give a little ride report on my DRG stock bore motor. Having only about 20 mins of break-in time on the motor previous to my trip, I was eager to see how this motor faired out in the dunes with plenty of built machines!

After starting out with a few short rides just getting some last heat cycles in, I began to ring the DRG motors neck more and more. I was pleased with the power from the ver beginning, but I realized I was geared way too high for sand riding. I was running a 14/37 gear setup and it pulled hard but knew I could drop a few teeth and really utilize this motors true potential. I ended up taking the quad back to the trailer and making a major swap throwing in a 13 tooth front and a 39 tooth rear sproket. Initially I though this would be major overkill, but seeing how much the sand bogs the motor down on all machines down there, I figured it'd work out good. We took the quad out to the strip and did some practice runs and the bike felt like a completely different animal, and I mean a major animal! This motor pulls like a train out of the hole and never stops! The part that really scares me is that my motor is still on its first phase with Chad and we have more work yet to do on it! I am running a mild cam and a smaller comp piston than I intend on running, so I can't wait to feel the power change once I get my top end back to Chad!

Chino886 had plenty of chances to ride my quad and had great things to say, so if u get a chance to hear your thoughts im sure the guys would like to hear what u have to say!

all I have yet to say is that there were no issues with hangin tall at the drags with nealry any machine and we put plenty of big bores to shame on the strip. ( even a yfz with a bottle strapped to the front could only give me a 1 quad length win over and over) hehe!

thanks, jay

hendershot106
10-23-2007, 12:02 PM
when are u going to have a chance at it on the mx tracks--- i would like to hear a report about that!!!

IMSROLL450R
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
You are definitely speaking the truth, Chino made a lot of runs on your bike and it was at the head of the pack everytime I saw it. Thats one really nice bike. Chinos bike was even running good, he smoked me as well, although I missed at least 1 shift everytime because of the riding boots. I agree on the gearing you changed to, I was running stock gearing on my 06 and it was just too tall I needed 1 down on the front but forgot the bring the sprocket. Better luck next time I guess. I hope to see that bike down there again if you do more stuff to it. Im trying to decide what to do to mine next I just dont really think the 14:1 is for me. What did Chad do to yours if you dont mind me asking?

xsr_racing28c
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I've got Drg Porting, carb and a piston along with a mild cam...

I can give a full list, but im sitting on my phone right now and it would take me too long to list....

IMSROLL450R
10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Stock bore? If so Im impressed it runs awesome.

xsr_racing28c
10-23-2007, 12:58 PM
yep stock bore with 14:1 comp baldwin.

-jay

IMSROLL450R
10-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I guess I'm going to have to get my head ported and carb bored because I liked the power but its not what I expected, although my expectations may be a little high. It also may need tuned a little better. If thats what you have with the stuff you have done then thats what i want to do because I was impressed with that bike.

patrickj75
10-23-2007, 01:18 PM
i have a DRG carb on mine and it works great.

Jay, i'll have to get some sand tires for my KTM and make a trip down there.

chad502ex
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Jay, thank you very much for you great words.. I really do appreciate you taking the time to tell us all about your build.

When your ready for Phase 2, boy am I gonna unleash it.... By the next time you go back, you'll be easily whipping up the yfz even with nitous with JUST a stock bore..... :macho

so, I'll update your porting using my flowbench, install an agressive cam instead of your mild cam, and install my 15:1 piston...

:D

Thanks everyone. It was fun reading the feedback.

tar
10-23-2007, 07:14 PM
xsr_racing28c what days were you at Sahara? I was there all day Saturday and Sunday until 4:30 and I never saw you Chino or IMS. We cruised through the north campground twice with no luck. I was looking forward to meeting you guys and checkin out your quads!

xsr_racing28c
10-24-2007, 12:21 AM
we were down there from friday morning at 3:30 am to sunday at about 11:00 am. I had truck problems on the way back in Kansas city and had to toss a new transmission in the F250 and now its 1:30 am on weds morning and we're finally only about an hour from home... its been a long weekend...

btw.... we were in the south campground with a silver F250 and a silver fourwerx/drg trailer....

-jay

IMSROLL450R
10-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by tar
xsr_racing28c what days were you at Sahara? I was there all day Saturday and Sunday until 4:30 and I never saw you Chino or IMS. We cruised through the north campground twice with no luck. I was looking forward to meeting you guys and checkin out your quads!

I was in the south campground as well. Looks like we will have to wait till next time to ride!!!! I was so excited about riding I kind of forgot to look for people.

Chino886
10-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Chad, all I can say is that is one heck of a motor you built. Jay was so kind to let me pilot his bad arse machine down the drag strip for him. I was roosting lots of fellas out there. I know I smoked a 520 by 5+ bike lengths and left lots of others in the sand. I could tell the cam is a very mild cam as it would reel people in once I launched.

Jay's bike also did not have an extended swinger or straight paddles.

Boy it was a fun trip!

Jay and his buddy Matt are some good peoples! It sucks that they ran into truck problems and had to stay in KC for 2 extra days!

Till next time!

xsr_racing28c
10-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks Dave, I know you had fun riding the beast since everytime you came back with it you were grinning ear to ear! :)

Here is a pic taken by Danhung11 a the dunes...
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/FourWerx/100_0616.jpg

Honda#4
10-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Damn good lookin quad Jay, glad you guys had fun down there.

d3ktrix
10-24-2007, 07:20 PM
whoa, really like the way that looks, good job.

chad502ex
10-25-2007, 07:24 AM
awesome picture jay.:macho