PDA

View Full Version : Running rich?

450r_rider
10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
See if anyone can help me out here... 2004 450R with HRC kit installed by Honda. That is all the mods I have done to it. Started noticing it wasn't as peppy as it used to be and took it in to have the valves adjusted. Mechanics said one of the cam bolts was stripped so they put a helicoil on it. Came back like the bike I was used to. Probably put about 20 hours on her since. Noticed the other day when revving it up that puffs a little black smoke. The air filter has just been cleaned so I don't understand what may be making it run rich if nothing else has changed. Any ideas anyone?

d3ktrix
10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
How many hours on the bike? original rings?

450r_rider
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Original rings. I'm guessing between 100 to 120 hours.

d3ktrix
10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 450r_rider
Original rings. I'm guessing between 100 to 120 hours.

hm with that low of hours I doubt your loosing compression yet from bad rings.
Unless you really beat the piss out of it :P

That was my guess :P

450r_rider
10-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks anyway. I guess I could test the compression to be sure but it still feels like it has plenty. I change the oil religiously. Cheap insurance I always say. If it were the rings it would be more of a white smoke wouldn't you agree?

d3ktrix
10-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 450r_rider
Thanks anyway. I guess I could test the compression to be sure but it still feels like it has plenty. I change the oil religiously. Cheap insurance I always say. If it were the rings it would be more of a white smoke wouldn't you agree?

White smoke would mean ur burning coolant.
Black/blue is oil or super rich mixture.

Does it do it even once its warmed up? all the time? only once in a while?

450r_rider
10-23-2007, 07:22 AM
I have not rode it since I noticed it. It has been idling for 5 minutes or so after the oil change and still did it. It definitely is black and not blue. Applying the the throttle to mid range or so I notice nothing. Cracking the trhottle to the upper rpm ranges you will notice it as the rpms are dropping. There is black at the end of the pipe like it is running rich.