PDA

View Full Version : who's good at porting?????

cincy250R
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
hey i was gonna get head ported and polished when i have it tore down this winter and was just wondering who does good work???

-Dave

f150mann
10-22-2007, 08:09 PM
do it yourself, save lots of cash. you may not get 100% of the power a pro would, but you will get 80% and cost nothing. anyone with some common sense can do it.

10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
what if you take off too much or make it uneven, then what?

GOTFEAR
10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Me.

f150mann
10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
like i said, anyone with common sense,

go slow, shave off minimal amounts, you will be fine.

maybe its just because im a machinist, but its hella easy and i think anyone who doesnt rush will have no trouble

zrpilot
10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
IMO opinion leave porting to the pros.

C&D
DRG
Venom
GT Thunder
Sparks

Just to name a few.

f150mann
10-22-2007, 08:34 PM
if you are not comfortable with your work, dont do it.. but i mean really, im sure there is several others here who have done it theirselves? did you guys not find it easy

gncc025
10-22-2007, 08:38 PM
ive never actually done it myself but i know what is involved and i agree with f150man. use common sense and if you have some decent skills with hand tools it should turn out good.

underpowered
10-22-2007, 08:39 PM
do not do it yourself!

porting is delicate work. sure, anyone can do a clean up port job. clean up the castings a bit is easy. but to really port it out and remove material you have to know what you are doing. you really need to get it even all around, a novice will not get it right and will not get anywhere near the gains a pro will get.

10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
sucks to pay over $350 for 4hp though :/

JOEX
10-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
IMO the general rule when building motors is $100 = 1hp:)

underpowered
10-22-2007, 09:03 PM

mine should have only cost about $250, for a full race port by a very well known motor builder in the area.

and it gave me about the biggest gain of any mod i have done, after doing it with my FCR carb it is a different bike all together. makes a huge difference.

10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
yeah for under $300 its deffinately worth it but over it its a little expensive for it to me at least

f150mann
10-23-2007, 09:22 AM
meh, cost me a 4$ dremel wheel

underpowered
10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by f150mann
meh, cost me a 4$ dremel wheel

wanna put it on a flow bench? most "home port" jobs are merely a cleanup. granted you will see some gains, but for true porting you need to get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

f150mann
10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
yes, come here and bring a flow bench.

like i said you wont get 100% of the gains.

but if i get 4hp for 4 dollars. and you get 5-6 for 300, who is better off???

10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
whould local machinist or powersports shops be able to do a port and polish? it would sure be cheaper than sending it to a race company.

underpowered
10-23-2007, 05:39 PM
whould local machinist or powersports shops be able to do a port and polish? it would sure be cheaper than sending it to a race company.

it really depends. some local shops/dealers will do porting and such, others will not. jsut ask around and do your research.

me and my buddy both had our 400heads ported by different people. mine by a local shop, his by a local race shop that deals with custom car engines. visually you can see a difference in the two port jobs, mine i much better. but, the guy who did mine built motors for scott summers (pro GNCC, past champ in bikes) he knows how to do it right. my buddies however it was the shops first time dealing with a small engine, and you can see that in the work.

10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
would porting make a difference with just a slip on, k&n w/out air box lid, and jetted. Or would i need full system exhaust and a cam to really feel a difference?

f150mann
10-23-2007, 06:25 PM
porting will make a difference with no mods. and yes most machine shops could do it.

JOEX
10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Anyone can grind metal and make the ports bigger and if they're lucky they'll get some gains.

Those who study the process, understand the characteristics of a specific head and use flow benches will know where and how much to grind or add material to compliment the other components of the motor to make the best gains over all.

This is just my opinion of course:D

10-23-2007, 07:10 PM
yeah there are 2 types XC and MX. XC for low end grunt and MX for more top I think. idk if a local machinist would know what to do to give me gains in the right places.

underpowered
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Anyone can grind metal and make the ports bigger and if they're lucky they'll get some gains.

Those who study the process, understand the characteristics of a specific head and use flow benches will know where and how much to grind or add material to compliment the other components of the motor to make the best gains over all.

This is just my opinion of course:D

exactly. "anyone" can port, but doing it right takes knowledge, precision, and experience.

REDRIDDER
10-24-2007, 07:20 PM
flow bench= positve numbers but my port job was done by a buddy of mine who has years of experience in 2 stroke porting and the job he did to my four stroke was a noticeable gain.

10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
just wondering what is a flow bench?

REDRIDDER
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
just wondering what is a flow bench? http://www.mei-inc.com/machine/flow_bench.htm#2.%20Flow%20bench%20work

10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
oh now i see so flow bench is the way to go but now what about performance range. If i make the ports bigger will I at least gain something? my brother and I just went out in the garage taking a wire brush that hook up to a drill and it fits perfectly in the ports and we saw how it smoothened it up a bit. Its just a practice because the head is no good because the spark plug is melted into it

sc400ex_rider
10-25-2007, 07:07 AM
heres some pics, you can pick up alot of power in the head. mostly unshroud the bowl area there is a lip where the seat meets the head. the port will flow more if it has more volume (just like in cars higher cc intake runners flow more than lower cc intake runners) one has more top the other has more bottom. your not making more power just shifting it up or down the rpm range. i took alot of material out of mine i used a carbide burr for the ports and a stone to blend the head to the seats. then finished with a flapper wheel to polish up. do not grind on the bottom low side of the port near the valves keep this gradual air does not like to take sharp turns. pro porters will also grind down the valve guides to flow more. this is very time consuming. for the time and money i got in it im very satisfied.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303097

f150mann
10-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
heres some pics, you can pick up alot of power in the head. mostly unshroud the bowl area there is a lip where the seat meets the head. the port will flow more if it has more volume (just like in cars higher cc intake runners flow more than lower cc intake runners) one has more top the other has more bottom. your not making more power just shifting it up or down the rpm range. i took alot of material out of mine i used a carbide burr for the ports and a stone to blend the head to the seats. then finished with a flapper wheel to polish up. do not grind on the bottom low side of the port near the valves keep this gradual air does not like to take sharp turns. pro porters will also grind down the valve guides to flow more. this is very time consuming. for the time and money i got in it im very satisfied.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303097

i agree 100% you are bang on, way to go buddy

10-27-2007, 03:25 PM
I just did my own "cleanup" job on the intake and exhaust ports today. I will say it turned out really nice but I don't know how to fine sand it... what do I use to get in there? I'm not worried about anything because it was an old head that was useless due to the timing chaun tearing up the 1 part then the spark plug being melted into it so it was good for practice. Personally I wouldnt trust myself enough to do a complete job, yeah I could get some gains but I want it perfect and done by proffesionals. So what should I use to fine sand the inside of the ports?

10-27-2007, 09:11 PM
bump

sc400ex_rider
10-28-2007, 08:32 AM
use a flapper wheel for final polishing
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/starcraftier1/flapwheel.jpg