PDA

View Full Version : Carb questions

AJG400
10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
OK first off i have a 440ex, full t4 exhaust, stage 2 cam, ported a lil, stock air box with lid, 12.5.1 piston i live in iowa (dont know the elevation). i was wondering with my stock carb if a 165 main is too small? it seems to run ok but i c alot of people running bigger jets. and i'm also running 110 oct gas. with the choke removed and a 42 pilot and high oct gas where should i start with the pilot screw? i would adjust it with it running but its a pain to get to. 2nd i have a doug eichner carb that i'm goin to put on after the winter (don't wanna have it run good when its cold and have to readjust for hotter weather) i got the carb for 13 bux pretty much and was just wanting the specifics about adjusting it, finding out what needle is in it etc. i know alot of people complain about these carbs but like i said i pretty much got it for 13 bux so i would like to see if its better than the stock carb. sorry for the long post but just looking for a lil help

AutoRoc
10-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I bought mine with the same mods you have, 440, 12.5:1, stg 2, exhaust... It stopped running last week so I took the carb apart and the main jet was plugged with gunk..no clue where it came from. Anyways it had a 170 main and 38 pilot. I know nothing about adjusting these but it runs damn good/clean for many many hours now. also have a -9 NGK plug and 110 torco fuel.

Finally raced against 2 near stock 250R's and a pipped banshee and we were all very even until 3rd gear when I climbed ahead very slowly.

I believe I overheated it and hurt it last week. Doing a lot of doughnuts in the sand, it lost power and quit...wouldn't turn over...then later it turned over a bit but didn't sound good. Goodluck!