PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hours of ATV Questions

KILLSWITCHngage
10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
This years Maxxis 12 hours will be my first one to compete in. My teammate and I will be in the A class. Would appreciate any tips or advice from anyone who has competed in a 12 hour event.
My list so far - Preperation and Survival.
I will have my quad entered along with my teamates quad, which he is starting the event on. And my quad will be in the impound area for swapping.
Looking for a few short stories of your 12 hour event, maybe a stand-out moment or unexpected something that happend that u werent prepared for.
thanks

TRXman86
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
One thing you will need to know about the 12 hours, is stamina. If you can't run a 6-8 mile course and keep up a good pace, you need to practice. Every rider knows that lap times will fall off by the end of the first 6 hours. You will need a machine that can last like a basic 1.5-2 hour harescramble. Only longer... You must know how to keep your head thru-out the event. Don't try to win it in the first 3-5 hours. It is a long race, you run for 6, take a break, then finish up. It is almost better to keep one machine in the impound and use one machine. If one breaks, the current rider can go and get the other one out of impound. BUT, the current rider must finish the lap he was on. You are not allowed to work on the machine in the impound, only one machine can be out of impound at a time-strictly inforced!!! You can be penalized at least a lap or more. Harsh, but true... If you want to know more, go to www.maxxis12hoursofatvamerica.com or www.atv scene.com (take out spaces due to the hate between the 2 sites...BS!) I have ran two 6 hour events and loved it. As long as you take it easy, you will be fine. If you havent allready, find a motel(rooms are LIMITED!!!!) and pre-register. It makes it easier to get moving on the day. Drop in friday night for some good fun.
Look me up, I'll be on a TRX400ex with pretty much no decals. Just tank decals saying "MIDWEST" with a new LRD pipe, #79 I think? Got to talk to team mate :D

Ryan
MrTrx on "atv scene"

bradley300
10-27-2007, 04:13 AM
are you using the same quad or more? if its the same quad, just go 2 laps at a time, you'll be able to ride harder all night, and you really dont loose much time switching riders. i think its set up this year that if yu have multiple quads they are in a special area and it will cost you a good amount of time to switch.

make sure you tak an extra person that isnt racing and know how to cook burgers and work on quads. the last hing you want to be is hungry and it really pays to have someone not invested in the race to do any work, they will have a more level head and have a better chance of fixing stuff right the first time w/o stripping bolts and such