PDA

View Full Version : Whew...too much reading. More power....HOW?

2old2race
10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
O.K. my eyes are bugging out from reading through here since Saturday's riding.
What would be the first and number one thing to do with my bike to make it more of a beast for hill climbing?
My motor is stock, it runs great and smooth, and is a blast trail riding.

I am very nervous about messing with compression or anything that will make my quad run hotter and/or diminish reliabilty.

I am looking for that nice strong power that will take me up hills that the big boys are storming up.

Oh yeah, my wife would kill me for doing this. lol
So, a 2 week rebuild is out of the question and beyond my skill levels.

Thanks for any advice guys!

2old2race
10-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Just some FYI, I have read about 416 kits, timing keys, and just overall polishing and porting.
What if I just went with a new cam? If so, which?

I am already jetted with a K&N filter. I am still running a lid on my box, but my friend is not and I see no difference between our 2 quads...other than my filter stays clean longer.

07250ex
10-22-2007, 12:10 PM
hmf, rejet, tires maybe? maybe change ur gearing? the hmf should help a bit but if you just want all out power id say 416 or 426 with a higher comp piston

2old2race
10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I currently have a White Bros E-series, K&N filter, jet kit, ITP Holeshot HD/Baja tire wheel combo.
Gearing is stock.

What about just slipping in a different cam? With Harley's this makes a noticeable difference. ?????

Ruby Soho
10-22-2007, 12:32 PM
put in a stage 1 cam.. its better for more stock based engines and gives you bottom end power.

the stage 2 would be good for a 416/426.

stage 3 is for 440's and 460's and larger

10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
i'm the same way with not wanting to sacrifice any reliability. I have seen stock Hondas last 22 years and still run strong. But with opening the motor and changing parts internally I fear my engine will crap out a few years down the road. If your cam is put in professionally or correct you should be fine but if your timing is off you end up like my brothers 400ex with a valve through the piston. heat can cause the valves to melt and break off (very common in race cars) but i would think highcompression would raise engine temperatures. idk man

Ruby Soho
10-22-2007, 01:06 PM
putting in a cam really won't hurt reliability. as long as you do it right, it can be done in your garage (if you have the basic tools...) just get yourself a Clymer manual and you'll be fine

2old2race
10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I feel I can replace a cam myself no problems.
Since you have the know-how, which cam would you recommend?

espergre
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
you'll do much better with a stage 1 hotcam. hotcams are cheap and easy to get. they have minimal duration increase so you will lose less power on the low end than most cams. the stage 1 hotcam will boost your torque thru 1/4 - wot. you will lose a little idle torque but i doubt youll be climbing any hills at idle. GOOD LUCK

Ruby Soho
10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
yeah, like i said earlier. stage 1, its better on stock based engines, a stage 2 is more for modified engines. these are HOTCAMS btw

2old2race
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Sweet. I'll check into it.
What I need is second gear torque. First is obviously too low, third is too high. So, a good strong second gear is where I would be doing most of my hill climbing.

Of course, guys on 450R's and Raptor's were hitting 4th gear going up some of those hills. WHAT?! :eek2:

gcart2
10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
i run aftermarket foam filter, jetted, hi comp piston, hotcam, fmf, p&p, and a lot more and about 1 time a year throw in a new piston rings and it runs like a champ around the clock.

10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
would a port an polish be worth it or can that cause the engine to have less reliability

JBDIV
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
2old2race --

I currently have a White Bros E-series, K&N filter, jet kit, ITP Holeshot HD/Baja tire wheel combo.

You and I have a similary setup. I am running ITP Mud Lites on the rear which are about 1 inch taller over stock. I replaced the front sprocket and went down one tooth. This increased my low end power and also overcame the new tire height.

We have the same exhuast, air filter. However, and this is what I recomend, get an OEM Honda XR400 cam and drop it in. This is a higher performance cam from the XR400 motorcycle. The nice thing is that it also comes with the decompressor attached which helps a lot in starting. The other high performance cams do not generally have these.

You will most likely need to re-jet. I wish I could remember what I went with on mine. Seems like I want to say 161 and 42.

I ride in West Virginia a lot and hit all kinds of steep ascents. My bike takes them with ease and is always reliable. And yes, many of my friends have 450R' and the like. They don't get away!

:D Hope that helps!

Ruby Soho
10-22-2007, 03:10 PM
you want 2nd gear torque? drop a tooth in the front to 14t. itll give you crazy bottom end power.

10-22-2007, 03:20 PM
man 2nd gear is quick enough stock lol my 400ex wont really bog until i hit 4th

2old2race
10-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Will I need any special tools for a camshaft replacement?
I do have a service manual.
My local shop wants $150 to replace a cam.
???????

Oh yeah, yes I too noticed a slight loss of speed after installing my Holeshot HD's.

Willl a 14 tooth sprocket have me running out of top end noticeably quicker?
I do agree though. For my riding (trails/hills), second and thrid gear is where I am most of the time.

thanks!

Ruby Soho
10-23-2007, 01:34 PM
you wont loose much topend. but it gives you alot more controllable power in 2nd/3rd. the cams all you need thats special is really a torque wrench

10-23-2007, 01:47 PM
yeah i'm always in 2nd or 3rd rarely ever 4th or 5th unless i find a huge straight or trail whooped out that i can peg it out over.

2old2race
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, I just scheduled an appointment.
I am having a Wiseco 10.1 piston installed and a Stage 1 Hot Cam.

They are telling me that with my White Bros. E-series pipe, K&N filter, and installed jet kit...I should be very pleased with the results. :cool:

espergre
10-23-2007, 02:32 PM
congrats, I put a 11:1 and a stage 1 hotcam in mine. Huge increase. If you dont allready have one get an outerwear for your K&N filter. The K&N filters really need a prefilter to keep a lot of big particles (like sand) from clogging the filter.