PDA

View Full Version : fuel issues

NV300ex
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM
i let my 4 wheeler sit up for quiet some time. i always have the fuel on switch on the left side of the tank in the on position. never had problems concerning the fuel until now. when i put it in reserve - it stays running fine... when i put it on _On position give it few seconds and it'll start cutting out n will quit. dad claims i have a spark plug problem or a fuel filter stopped up. maybe im wrong but dont think its the spark plug.. if it was it would had done it in the reserve postion as well.
i have a 97 300 ex. does anybody know where the fuel filter or if it has a fuel strainer in the fuel line ?? not sure how to find out where its at.. although i should get a book, figure i would ask n see if anybody knew..

NV300ex
10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
ok nm i found it .. its a filter under the tank. called peacock or strainer. think im going to go ahead n drain the gas n clean inside the tank.

bwamos
10-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by NV300ex
ok nm i found it .. its a filter under the tank. called peacock or strainer. think im going to go ahead n drain the gas n clean inside the tank.

It's called a petcock. Just a FYI is all.

You can unscrew the plug on the bottom of the petcock to clean the filter screen.

I'd remove both and anyhting loose inside the petcock, then (with the tank drained), squirt a little carb cleaner down into the petcock from the filter plug hole, then use an air compressor tip to blow out any residue clogging up the petcock. Don't need to get too crazy. Also make sure the petcock is set to normal open or you wont be cleaning out the right part. ;)