View Full Version : Parking Brake Block Off??? Why?

10-31-2001, 03:07 PM
I hear so much about these parking brake block off kits. Why are these so popular? Why would you want to disable your parking brake? Any help would be great

2000 4ooEX
too many mods to list:) :)

10-31-2001, 03:13 PM
Well for one the parking brake on a 400ex is worthless,,,always has to be adjusted and if it's kept adjusted properly you'll go thru brake pads quicker than you will a tank of gas. I took mine off cuz I don't use it and probably never would..plus you can get rid of the gaudy ugly clutch and perch when you do this and the brake cable and lever..Not a must but if you don't use it I'd take it off.

Giz400ex
10-31-2001, 04:07 PM
Yeah, my parking brake was getting pretty screwed up and I said the hell with it!!! Bought a block-off plate!!!

TRFOXX
10-31-2001, 07:24 PM
Yeah when you start going through brake pads every other
ride you'll start to understand why we take them off!

Braff1
11-01-2001, 01:27 PM
I am a person who believes in taking good care of thier ride but I have had my 300 EX for 6 months now and I already replaced the back brake pads. Why so soon ya say, well because I keep that POS parking brake adjusted like the manual recommends. Now I just park it and leave it in gear. Besides the dang thang never worked right anyway.

Block it off, it is useless.

Dan

Lil90man!!
11-02-2001, 04:38 AM
hey question where exactly does the block off go and what else do you have to do on a 300, and do the block off like wear out or something? does the block off go on the back brake assembly??? and then do u guys take the line off or leave it on or pull the line off and take the whole parking brake thing out of the clutch perch or what??? and someone told me that they have to change the brake block off on there bike every once in awhile cuz it wears out or something is this true???

Giz400ex
11-02-2001, 03:18 PM
NO!! The only thing the block-off plate does is eliminates your parking brake!!! No wearing of anything or such. It goes on your rear caliper, on the left side!!

Alberta EX
11-04-2001, 09:32 AM
I too my park break off last night, along with the cable. It took me two months to wear out my rear pads because I kept the park break adjusted. I modified my park break block so it will not touch the caliper, but this is just a temporary fix until I can find a proper block off plate. Where do you guys get these from?

Giz400ex
11-04-2001, 12:49 PM
You can just about get them anywhere!!!

Tommy 17
11-04-2001, 04:25 PM
any where has them mines a lsr, my buddys is white bros. the reason i took it off was bc it worked for the first day i got it and then it stoped. the 1st gear on a 400ex is strong it wont move no where. i also hated that big black thing on my bar when i was riding so after like 3 months wit i said to hell wit this and got the block off. it goes on the left side of ur rear brake calip, if u loo where the arm is on calip u will see that there is 2 bolts u just take off the bolts and the arm pops right off and all the guts wit it. get rid of that and slap on ur new block of plate, which actually is just a cover. then u just take off ur cable, and change ur perch. u can do it in less then 5 mins.

Adam F
11-04-2001, 11:28 PM
Guys, this isn't making any sense to me. Could someone go into detail as to why using the parking brake would wear out your brake pad? Does it rub the brake pads or something? Is it using the rear break? I only use the parking brake if I need to jump off the bike for a few minutes and it is on an incline or something. When I park it for the day, I just put it in gear. I just bought the bike the other day, so I am unfamilliar with it altogether. I havent really inspected the brake to see how it works, so this may be a dumb question, so, sorry!

Giz400ex
11-05-2001, 06:09 PM
The whole parking brake thing is a waste!!!! Once you have to start adjusting the parking brake!!! Forget it, its all done. It has and always will eat your pads up........quick.

SGA
11-05-2001, 10:36 PM
o/k, go to the back & pull the two 12 mm bolts that hold the parking brake assy on,don't worry, you can't hurt any thing. leave the cable & everything attached to the plate that comes off. hold the lever that the cable is attached to & rock the mounting plate back & forth. you'll see that when the cable is pulled the plunger goes in & pushes the rod on the main brake assy, which pushes the pads closed on the rear brake disk. the problem is water gets in the spiral gears, they rust up & when you let the parking brake off the plunger dosn't come out all the way , the brakes drag a little & wear out fast. you can grease the gears all the time, but it will still start to drag soon. put it back on until you get a blockoff plate. the blockoff protects the rod sticking out of the main brake assy.

Lil90man!!
11-06-2001, 04:19 AM
hey you guys i have a 300ex when i put the plate on and i take off the parking brake cable what do i do with the whole assembly on the clutch perch??? do i have to leave it on there or can i take just the parking brake off somehow and if so how???

Tommy 17
11-06-2001, 04:32 PM
i dunno about a 300ex u have reverse up there u may have to do that mod hetricks 330 did. its in the review form.

Lil90man!!
11-06-2001, 07:56 PM
ok well i guess i could do that but, a. my luck i would break the chain and i would be el screwoed lol and b i don't wanna go spend the money on a new clutch perch. so i was thinking could u buy/find some sort of like "spacer" thing to go around the bolt to keep the clutch reverse lever tight but take off all the parking brake junk ohh and if you took off the brake thing on the perch is there any other wires or anything attached that u would have to dissconnect??

trueblue450
11-06-2001, 08:15 PM
Just unscrew your parking brake so there is no way it will touch the brake pad and never look at your clutch perch. Problem solved.