PDA

View Full Version : 38 Carb installation

badquad
10-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I am getting a 38 AS carb, am I going to have to get new boots, reeds-carb and carb-airbox? Or can I use the stock ones. I read on this site, I will probably need new clamps.

Mean250r
10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by badquad
I am getting a 38 AS carb, am I going to have to get new boots, reeds-carb and carb-airbox? Or can I use the stock ones. I read on this site, I will probably need new clamps.

No, you can use everything stock, its a real ***** to put on but all the stock parts will work, for the rubber boots, use a hair dryer or a heat gun to expand it. It will fit.

wilkin250r
10-21-2007, 11:08 PM
It can be a pain, some people have more trouble than others.

The stock boot will fit, but it needs help. You need to heat the end to soften it up and allow it to stretch a little. A heat gun works, but there is the chance of melting it if you're not careful. A fool-proof method is to dip the end of the boot in HOT water, and then force it on the carb (it doesn't need to be on the bike to do this). Let it cool while on the carb, and once it's cool, it should hold that size.

The stock clamps won't fit. I think most people just use standard hose-clamps that you can buy at any hardware store. Some people buy the CR250 clamps made for 38mm carbs.

dirtycj5
10-22-2007, 04:50 AM
sorry to high jack
but i just bought a 38mm carb and i have one of those after market boots (poly) do those strech too?

86 Quad R
10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by dirtycj5
sorry to high jack
but i just bought a 38mm carb and i have one of those after market boots (poly) do those strech too?

which one? the carb to reed intake boot or the carb to airbox boot?

as stated the oem boots will work fine provided you heat them up. my prferred method is as wilkin stated. works best if done by two people. once the boot is on the carb a zip tie is used to hold it there untill its cooled down.

dirtycj5
10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
the reed intake boot