PDA

View Full Version : Please Read!!!!!!! 400ex or z400

atvmaster0927
10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
hey,
I got a question and need some help.
Ok, well, i ride both, trails and sometimes i ride at the track.
And i was wondering, which i should get, a 400ex or a z400??(both would be an 07).
Please post your likes and dislikes about both.

Thanks,
AJ

quad2xtreme
10-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Given your choices, I would probably go with the z400 strictly because it is water cooled engine thus it will vibrate less and have a wider range of powerband.

Take this with a grain of salt, I've had 3 400ex quads but never a z400. I fixed a z400 for a guy once and rode it for a day though. It would easily outrun my nearly stock 400ex quads. It didn't have as much low end torque which is nice for technical trails but it beat it everywhere else except it seemed a bit tippy.

Good luck. I would prefer a 450 for track or trails though.

atvmaster0927
10-20-2007, 08:36 PM
yeah but the thing is that the z is tippy. So i think i will get an ex.

trx400EXtreme
10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
its all rider preference... they are both great quads. ive ridden both and they feel totally different. the best thing you can do is ride both and pick the one that feels better to you.

quad2xtreme
10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
yeah but the thing is that the z is tippy. So i think i will get an ex.

Funny...you sound like another open minded person who has already decided. :huh

trailwart
10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
""Given your choices, I would probably go with the z400 strictly because it is water cooled engine thus it will vibrate less and have a wider range of powerband.""

how could you say that because its watercooled that it will vibrate less and have a wider range of power?? water cooling has nothing to do with vibration or power range! your cams, intake, exhaust, carrb, just to name a few have an impact on power curve and where the power is made. counterbalencers and having your rotating assembies balanced will effect the vibtation levels.

BlasterEaten250
10-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I feel faster on the z in tight woods, and faster on the ex on a track. The z doesnt beat you up as much, but I still have more fun on the honda, I guess it's just a preference thing

my88r
10-20-2007, 08:59 PM
had had the z would never get one again. traded it for a ex best thing i ever done. the only good part the z had was better front shocks. the z was tippy and the 400ex feels more like my 250r.

quad2xtreme
10-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by trailwart
""Given your choices, I would probably go with the z400 strictly because it is water cooled engine thus it will vibrate less and have a wider range of powerband.""

how could you say that because its watercooled that it will vibrate less and have a wider range of power?? water cooling has nothing to do with vibration or power range! your cams, intake, exhaust, carrb, just to name a few have an impact on power curve and where the power is made. counterbalencers and having your rotating assembies balanced will effect the vibtation levels.

Mostly because I know nothing about engines except owning them. All of my 6 water cooled motorcycles, my 2001 Raptor and my 2006 450r all vibrate less than all 3 400ex quads, my brother's 300ex and Warrior. All of the water cooled engines seem to make more power over a broader RPM range than any of the air cooled engines above. The z400 seemed to have a much broader power range too and it vibrated less.

Forgot, even the two 2000 Yamaha Kodiak's were smoother (vibrated less).

/Jon