View Full Version : Car Audio Help!

Shift_450R
10-20-2007, 04:49 PM
OK i have a 4 channel amp and i have 2 12"s hooked up to channel 1 and 2. Now i want to put tweeters in and i was wondering if i can hook them into 1 and 2 along with my subs or will that wreck something? thanks

mineralgrey01gt
10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
normally a 4 channel amp has 4 speaker outputs, yours dont have that? You sure its a 4 channel amp? I wouldnt do what you are asking thats for sure

Shift_450R
10-20-2007, 05:55 PM
it does have four speaker outputs but in order for the four to work you need two sets of rca cables going from your deck to your amp. and i really don't want to pull my deck out again. Is there some sort of splitter i can buy that takes the one rca cable and splits it to two separate ones?

mineralgrey01gt
10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
hmm, not that i know of in all honesty

F-16Guy
10-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes, you can buy RCA splitters at most places like Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. How many speakers you can hook up per channel depends on the quality and rating of the amp. Most of the stuff they sell these days won't take it, so be careful. My advice would be to buy splitters, bridge one set of channels (if possible) for your sub, and then run your tweeters in stereo off the remaining two channels.

Shift_450R
10-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Yes, you can buy RCA splitters at most places like Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. How many speakers you can hook up per channel depends on the quality and rating of the amp. Most of the stuff they sell these days won't take it, so be careful. My advice would be to buy splitters, bridge one set of channels (if possible) for your sub, and then run your tweeters in stereo off the remaining two channels.

thanks man thats what i wanted to hear
:)

wilkin250r
10-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Actually, there is a way, but I wouldn't recommend it.

It was common several years back to put a 3-way splitter on your amp. It would filter the highs directly to the tweeter, and the lows directly to the subwoofer, without any impedance problems.

That sounds great! Sure, so why aren't more people using this, why isn't this more popular? The main problem is, they aren't easily adjustable. You can't just turn a knob and adjust one or the other. Eventually, the idea pretty much faded away.

The concept is still there, it's still possible. But like I said, I wouldn't recommend it.