PDA

View Full Version : How are 300's in the dunes?

GT300
11-04-2002, 03:56 PM
I, of course, ride a 300ex and would like to know how 300s do in the dunes. I have no idea on how they would do since there aren't any dunes around here. Can they hold their own? Not compared to a banshee though. Can they get up good sized hills? What dunes would be good for a 300 minor motor mods? I don't plan on going to the dunes for a long time, but when I do go would it be worth it to truck all the way across the country to ride?

ThorChick
11-04-2002, 07:23 PM
I have a 300ex and I ride at the dunes all the time here in Oregon. Its not as great as other quads on the dunes but I've never not been able to make it up any of the hills around here, and we have some pretty big ones. Some of the hills are so big I've had to hit them in 5th gear pinned but I sailed right up. Make sure you have some decent paddles and you'll have a good time on the sand.

QuadJunkies
11-04-2002, 10:28 PM
I ride a ex too, and I rode at St. Anthonys this summer, and I had no problem getting around,just not up the big steep stuf like the big boys were:(They hold there own,but like Thorchick says..Get a good set of paddles.;) If you can eer get over to Idaho, you wont be dissappointed,never heard a person complain about our dunes over here...:D

Dune Surfer
11-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Where are the dunes in Idaho? I would like to come up next summer. Got any picks?

QuadJunkies
11-05-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Where are the dunes in Idaho? I would like to come up next summer. Got any picks? I have lots of them..So does Wyoduner.he has tons of pics.Ill post a few of them today for you..;)

QuadJunkies
11-05-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I have lots of them..So does Wyoduner.he has tons of pics.Ill post a few of them today for you..;) Oh, BTW~~~ The dunes are by a little town called Rexburg.Its about an hour from Pocatello or 5.5 hours from Boise.

QuadJunkies
11-05-2002, 08:09 AM
heres a few to look at. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291465697... and one more... http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291669903

CHAUNCY
11-05-2002, 08:24 AM
nice pics quadjunkies

ThorChick
11-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Quadjunkies ~ It looks like I'll be able to come visit next summer and go riding with you guys. My boyfriend is going to help me buy a truck in the next week or 2 and my mom has already asked me to take my little sister to Idaho Falls to stay with my dad for a few weeks. We don't have any dates or anything picked out but it'll probably be middle June and I'll just be able to come for 2 days. I already can't wait!!

QuadJunkies
11-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by ThorChick
Quadjunkies ~ It looks like I'll be able to come visit next summer and go riding with you guys. My boyfriend is going to help me buy a truck in the next week or 2 and my mom has already asked me to take my little sister to Idaho Falls to stay with my dad for a few weeks. We don't have any dates or anything picked out but it'll probably be middle June and I'll just be able to come for 2 days. I already can't wait!! That is so cool!!!:0 If you need a place to stay, let me know.you are welcome to stay here at my place overnight to get some shut eye from the trip up.Give me plenty of notice ,so I can get it of at work.Is June a set month?The weather is a little unpredictalbe still in June,if your able to come like in July or a lil later than that ,the weather should be good then ,but if not, we will make the most of it and pray for good weather!:blah Cant wait to meet you guys..:)

ThorChick
11-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I think my Dad would probably like it if I stayed at his house. July might be a good month to come over there too, I just have to figure out when I'll get my vacation from work and then we're going to plan the trip around it. I'll keep you guys informed though. I'm not sure if my boyfriend will come with me though, that would be a long way to haul the trailor and both quads, but we'll see.

Dune Surfer
11-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Keep me in mind I would love to join you guys. I'm fairly normal. ha ha. I used to live in Oregon and have family there I could swing by and see them and ride the Oregon dunes on the way, wouldn't that be a good trip.
Hey Thorchick, From the pics I've seen of the dunes there you might want your boyfriend to buy you a 400!!.

QuadJunkies
11-06-2002, 12:24 AM
Dune Surfer~~Yeah if you can make it, that would be cool.:) Im hoping Ill have my upgrade by then, but we will see, $$$ permitting..Thorchick~~Duh! Yeah ,I guess if your going to see your Dada, he would want you to stay at his place.Gee, I hope you bring your boyfriend:( So we can meet him,Troy will be going and as far s pulling the trailer, you should be fine, Hey ..I have to pull 4 of them when I come to Ore. and I dont have the best rig to be pulling ...:blah

ThorChick
11-06-2002, 03:11 AM
Now why would I have my boyfriend buy me a 400? I bought my 300 myself and if I want a different bike I'll buy that one too, lol. If I end up going to Idaho by myself I might just take his 350R instead of my 300, that beast doesn't have a problem making it up anything. Hopefully by then it'll be converted to methanol and I'll know how to clean it at night and change the carbs if I feel like it. Hehe :) Then again, if he does come with we'll bring all three quads, the 350R, the 300ex, and the suzuki with the ninja streetbike motor in it.

ThorChick
11-06-2002, 03:12 AM
Oh yea, Dune Surfer, if you ever come up this way let me know, we'll take ya riding at Florence or Coos Bay sometime.

QuadJunkies
11-06-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by ThorChick
Now why would I have my boyfriend buy me a 400? I bought my 300 myself and if I want a different bike I'll buy that one too, lol. If I end up going to Idaho by myself I might just take his 350R instead of my 300, that beast doesn't have a problem making it up anything. Hopefully by then it'll be converted to methanol and I'll know how to clean it at night and change the carbs if I feel like it. Hehe :) Then again, if he does come with we'll bring all three quads, the 350R, the 300ex, and the suzuki with the ninja streetbike motor in it. Oh sure...:( Just leave me in the dust with that R why dont ya;) lol...j/k.. My 300 does ok,but it doesnt fly thats for sue, but then Im not that Big on huge hill climbs anyways..I no of a few others wanting to ride next summer so maybe we can form a decent sized group ride:)

CHAUNCY
11-06-2002, 09:42 AM
everyone here is so friendly. Always wanting to meet new people and go riding with them. Great site ive visited in a long time:D

QuadJunkies
11-06-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
everyone here is so friendly. Always wanting to meet new people and go riding with them. Great site ive visited in a long time:D Hey CHAUNCY~~ How was your B-day???Oh, You gonna try and go next year too?You really should,YOU WONT REGRET IT:blah

Dune Surfer
11-06-2002, 05:55 PM
Thorchick, I like you your sassy!!

GT300
11-06-2002, 06:26 PM
Would a 300 do good at Glamis?

ThorChick
11-06-2002, 07:48 PM
LOL, sassy? I'm gonna take that as a compliment.

CHAUNCY
11-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Hey CHAUNCY~~ How was your B-day???Oh, You gonna try and go next year too?You really should,YOU WONT REGRET IT:blah

It was kool.
I got some dvd's, motocross madness 2 and some other goodies.
I would like to but i dont drive yet.

QuadJunkies
11-06-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY

It was kool.
I got some dvd's, motocross madness 2 and some other goodies.
I would like to but i dont drive yet. Where do you live??Man, try to find a way here,it will be a blast!!!:blah

Dune Surfer
11-06-2002, 10:56 PM
Sassy was a complement!!

own2424
11-06-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by GT300
Would a 300 do good at Glamis? Well, I saw a stock blaster tryin to climb one of the hills...and lets just say he didnt make it all the way to the top...so i dunno about 300ex

quadbiker
11-08-2002, 04:19 PM
I have a stock 300ex, and I ride it in the dunes, and weigh 190 or so. It does ok, but like someone else said, some good paddles make for a better time. You will have a blast at Glamis.

GT300
11-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Alright. Thanks that is what I wanted to know.

Dune Surfer
11-09-2002, 09:06 PM
GT300
Let me know when your going to Glamis, Ill give you a tour.

josh
11-09-2002, 09:33 PM
wow, those pics of the idaho dunes look really small and simple from what i'm used to, not trying to diss or anything, they look fun, but not nearly as technical as it is in the dunes in glamis and buttercup and stuff, i'll dig up some pics for ya guys

josh
11-09-2002, 09:51 PM
it is an overhead view of glamis tho, found it on the net
http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/images/Oldsmobileaerial.jpg

josh
11-09-2002, 10:11 PM
this is what we call "the wall" and yes, it is named the wall for a reason, the pictures of dunes are really missleading, once you go there in person after seeing pictures you will still be very surprised http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/images/sfhillshoot.jpg

josh
11-09-2002, 10:12 PM
hows this for technical, and no, i dought even a 400 ex could rev high enough in any gear to make it up something that steep about 200 ft high, that's one modded shee http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/images/bangullet.jpg

own2424
11-09-2002, 10:17 PM
JOsh, my first time goin up the wall, i got STUCK with my banshee!!!!!!! THen, i never tried it again! When i come back in december ill attempt it! :D

josh
11-09-2002, 10:20 PM
out there, there's no such thing as too fast
http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/images/bansheedragster.jpg

josh
11-09-2002, 10:22 PM
how did u get stuck with a banshee?????? do u live anywere close to the dunes??? i mean like arizona or cali?????? maybe when u come out next with that banshee i'll have to show u how u make it up that hill, it's called 2nd or 3rd gear and no mercy to your thumb, basically, "never let go jack":D ;)

josh
11-09-2002, 10:25 PM
hey own, i just checked ur sig out and noticed u had that banshee for sale, y u sellin, and were is it located and how much u want, i would be interested in checking it out....that is if i can convince my dad to let me have a 2 stroke:rolleyes: and that much of a power difference from my 1991 250x;) :D

own2424
11-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by josh
how did u get stuck with a banshee?????? do u live anywere close to the dunes??? i mean like arizona or cali?????? maybe when u come out next with that banshee i'll have to show u how u make it up that hill, it's called 2nd or 3rd gear and no mercy to your thumb, basically, "never let go jack":D ;) It was like my second day ever riding at the dunes! THe banshee is in YUMA, AZ right now...so all I have to do is fly over and go straight to the dunes. If i tried again, i can definitly make it...but I only got a chance to go to that hill once! i cant wait to come back!!!! you got AIM? if so, IM me at Own2424
and BTW, i live in NJ! :D

own2424
11-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by josh
hey own, i just checked ur sig out and noticed u had that banshee for sale, y u sellin, and were is it located and how much u want, i would be interested in checking it out....that is if i can convince my dad to let me have a 2 stroke:rolleyes: and that much of a power difference from my 1991 250x;) :D
Well, the only reason I wanna sell it is because after I come down for like 10 days this xmas break, I wont be back down to AZ for another year or two, so Id rather sell it and not lose value...then when I come back down in a year or two, ill buy a hooked up shee!

11-09-2002, 11:52 PM
having paddles is like two differnt worlds in hte dunes

QuadJunkies
11-10-2002, 12:58 AM
Hey Josh~~ you have never been to St Anthonys right??? You ask a few others just how big and steep they ar andthey will tell ye, they are HUGE!! The pics do no justice.;)

quadbiker
11-10-2002, 08:01 AM
Glamis is a pool table compared to St. Anthony.

QuadJunkies
11-10-2002, 10:22 AM
JOSH~~~ HAve you checked out Wyoduners Web pics yet?? He has some pretty good pics to saee, but until you get on the sand its hard to wxplain how BIG they are..SOem of ours dunes are around 300ft high if I remember right..Or better yet, come up and ride:D !!you wont be dissapointed........

josh
11-10-2002, 11:28 AM
actually that sounds really fun, but in glammis there is a hill called compitition hill that everyone drags up, and i think that's about 450 ft high, not sure exactly, and there is also what we call "oldsmobile hill" wich is a little over 600 ft high, and it takes a skilled rider on a modded 300 to barely make it over the top of oldsmobile hill, remember, all dune pictures are disseaving but check this out http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/images/5oldshill.jpg.jpg

josh
11-10-2002, 11:34 AM
actually just check this whole page out, all of that is glammis, it is really cool, i kinda like buttercup better for trail riding cuz ther is some pretty wicked jumps out there with a wide variety of dunes, and at our dunes, NEVER RIDE STRAIGHT OVER ONE WITHOUT CHECKING THE OTHER SIDE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many people have died that way because there is what we call, "razorbacks" and "withche's eye's" i think razorbacks are the worst tho, cuz you might think the other side is ok when you get to the top, but all it is is a fine line of sand and then a drop off, most vary in height, but some are about 40-50ft if you ride way out, if you ride way out to were you can't see veichle tracks on a busy weekend that is really cool, especially at sunset

josh
11-10-2002, 11:39 AM
lol, forgot link, here http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/Thanksgiving00.cfm

josh
11-10-2002, 11:42 AM
hey quad junkies, gimme a link and i'll check out what the northwest has to offer;) i think u guys should also come down to the dunes near yuma, you also won't be dissapointed, but gimme a link and i'll check it out

QuadJunkies
11-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Josh~~ good pics, I do want to come to Glamis one day,,we plan a trip every summer and take one to St. A's every year too.es is more than just the height,its how steep our dunes are too.My 300 cant even make it up half way up /Thunder Mnt. none of them can, and I might as weel forget it at Choke, you wont see too many 400's do it either(I hacve only heard of like 2 make it and they were 440kits on it),these dunes are really steep and the sand is desert sand,we went in June when it was still somewhat wet, tehn again in Ag. and boy the sand was a HUGE difference,I can usually make it up the backside of THunder,but the sand was so dry, I coudnlt make it up ,I was so pissed .Time for bigger quad, Ill get you a link to Wyoduners sight, you can find lots of pics all over the net Ive looked at them. If you can ever make it over this way, look me up, as I will do also when I come over to Glamis..

CHAUNCY
11-10-2002, 03:18 PM
wyoduner's site is www.dunereview.com
It is one of the best sites out there

josh
11-10-2002, 04:32 PM
well, checked the site out and the dunes look pretty massive, for some reason i just like the pictures of glamis and buttercup better cuz the dunes out there all look very similar, that means there isn't as much tight fun trails, out in buttercup you will never find yourself going in a straight line cuz all the dunes are really tight together so you are always zig zagging through trails and sliding sideways on banks in 4th gear, it's really technical and very fun, but i would not reccomend comming out in the summer unless u wanna go on a sweat fest, out there in yuma, if you head out in june the weather will be about 110-116 deg, pretty misserable even for a local like me that lives in the same type weather 4 hours away, down here, it just got below 95 deg outside less than a month ago, it's about 80 out now so it's perfect, i would suggest comming down durring winter or late fall or early to mid spring, nothing close to summer tho, cuz we get about 4 months that is over 100 deg out here so:eek: :( maybe my dad and i could drive up to those dunes in idaho for about 4-5 days then go stay at my gramma's for a week then go through the dunes there on the way home, that woiuld be durring the summer tho

quadbiker
11-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Last time I was at Glamis it was 87 degrees in the middle of winter.

CHAUNCY
11-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Ive never been to the dunes but want to go so bad. Ill get there soon i hope. Maybe i can talk my dad into going to some soon.

GT300
11-10-2002, 05:55 PM
But I am only 16 so glamis is a ways away. I was just wondering if it was worth it to do a cross country trip when I am older. Thanks for the help and for the offer to show me around.

GT300
11-10-2002, 05:57 PM
I just figured since I live in NH and would probably only go to the dunes once in my life I thought that might as well go to the sand mecca of the world, Glamis.

quadbiker
11-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Make the trip, it's worth the time and effort. Hit other places along the way, St. Anthony, Little Sahara Utah, Dumont. You could do it all in two weeks.

josh
11-10-2002, 08:46 PM
u'd be beat dead if u drove and duned for 2 weeks straight, but i am going to say this wise and true quote, if you go once don't worry, unless u die there u will be back, it's a given fact for almost any quad rider, you won't want to go home and when you go back to the normal trails you will feel like it is very abusive to u cuz all the bumps and rugged turns and stuff, out there in the dunes you can ride all day long on a few tanks of gas and not be sore, maybe tired and wind beat, but you won't be sore unless your nailin huge jumps all day long, the first time i went and came back and rode the trails a few weeks later i hadn't complained soo much about ruggedness and abusiveness to my body in one quad trip, it's a whole different world out there, the sand in yuma is probably a little finner than sugar and there is no rocks in the sand, it is amazing, you can't hold any in your hand no matter how tight you squeeze, when you step in it your shoe sinks in half way, it is the best thing i have ever ridden in, you can slide sideways on big bowls and turns and steep hills in 4th gear throwing a whole bunch of sand and not have to worry about hitting one unexpected bump ever, it's almost like when you ride a jetski on glassly smooth water in the early morning when the water is soo flat is looks like a piece of glass, trust me, i wasn't sure if i would like it but it was the best thing i have ever done, ask any other person that rides trails for a very long time and then goes to the dunes, it's incredible, it will make home riding feel like the pits, i think it is truly worth it if you can afford the trip and a decent set of paddles, you don't need front sand tires if your not going that often, so don't let any dealers talk u into something like that, that's just an extra 200 bucks, but if your goin to glammis deffinately go durring the winter, summer is misserably hot, don't waste your time and money durring the summer, right now is perfect for the dunes, temp is 75-85 at day and prob about 40-55 night, make the trip tho, you will be amazed, JUST DON'T EVER RIDE STRAIGHT OVER A DUNE WITHOUT CHECKING THE OTHER SIDE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my dad's friend almost killed himself on a 40 ft. razorback, he went over a 40 ft razorback in 5th gear going back to camp at night time cuz he thought it was ok on the other side, the results were 6 months of intensity in the hospital cuz he shifted his face plate 6 inches and couldn't hardly smell anything for 4 years, so i would reccomend to always turn at the top of every dune and get a peak at the other side before you ride over, and if your not a jack***** i'm sure some of the other people that are camping there would be glad to ride with you and show you around, there is over 40 miles of dunes that you have your pic at so don't go ripping through camp in 4th or 5th gear tryin to be cool, i hate those little kids that aren't aloud to go far so they get on there loud little 2 strokes at 7 in the morning and ride around camp for hours, don't be like that, just ask some nice people drivin some nice bikes to show you around till ya get the hang of it, most people are friendly and won't bite

own2424
11-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Yup, JOSH is 100% correct! I went to Yuma, AZ this summer (july) and rode at Glamis and BUttercup for one month, dang it was hott!!! BUt, it was just too much fun to stop riding. SAnd is addicting, once you hit up the dunes, you wont wanna leave...just like me. Im coming back during xmas! Cant Wait. Yea, those witches eyes and razorbacks are pretty dangerous out there, i almost fell into a couple of them...:D ! Here is a pic of comp hill at Buttercup...I took a ton of pics of drag banshees riding up but it was just too dark out (1AM) so the pics didnt come out...:mad:

own2424
11-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Look at this nasty little razorback right at the top of comp hill at Buttercup...Josh or Dune Surfer, you guys probly might not see this anymore because it most likely got worn down, but I was there in teh summer and nobody was riding so it just formed!

QuadJunkies
11-11-2002, 01:13 AM
My pics of St. A's arent as good as Wyoduners,but I hvent been up there as much either.. yes, watch out for the razorbacks and witches eyes..I roled my quad my first 15 mnutes of riding out there,my lesson of learning is is yoyur under powered,dont puush the limits,being unpowered and sand can be a bad thing when climbing...:( im hoping to have tht problem fixed my spring.. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291465697

QuadJunkies
11-11-2002, 01:14 AM
My pics of St. A's arent as good as Wyoduners,but I hvent been up there as much either.. yes, watch out for the razorbacks and witches eyes..I roled my quad my first 15 mnutes of riding out there,my lesson of learning is is yoyur under powered,dont puush the limits,being unpowered and sand can be a bad thing when climbing...:( im hoping to have tht problem fixed my spring.. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291465697 Man.. I really need to learn to type..;)

own2424
11-11-2002, 10:25 AM
sorry, forgot the pic...

QuadJunkies
11-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by own2424
sorry, forgot the pic... Thats a good pic:) im going to take more on our next trip ill spnd one whole day for pics.. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291465697 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291669903