PDA

View Full Version : Oil seals

wayneop66
10-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I am currently doing a top end job on my 86 r. While checking out the rest of the engine I found oil in the stator cover. Also, when I drained the tranny oil there was not very much oil in the case. Can the oil seals be replaced without splitting the cases?? I had my engine rebuilt by a seemingly reputable shop in Southern Ca, that is owned by a past Champion 250r rider, but I have had nothing but problems with it. :grr:

Rich250RRacer
10-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Both sides can be changed without splitting the cases. For the stator side, take an awl or pick and carefully tap it through the existing seal. Don't tap it too hard, you don't want to damage the crank bearing in any way. Thread a sheet metal screw into the hole you made and pull with a pair of pliers. Drive in your new seal. On the stator side, the seal should be driven in 1/4". Don't drive it in any more than this, it will rub on the crank bearing.

xlr810
10-20-2007, 10:02 PM
If it was tranny oil, not premix oil that got into your stator-- then most likely your problem is the oring on your counterbalance holder.