PDA

View Full Version : U.P. Snowmobiling

TRX250X
11-04-2002, 03:50 PM
Does anybody here snowmobile in the Michigan Upper Peninsula? I'm planning on going there for the first time this winter and wondered where you recommended going, and what I can expect. I've been as far north as indian river, but have never made the trek over the bridge.

hunda400ex
11-04-2002, 04:30 PM
no but i would love to, i went to yellowstone last year. it was awesome rented a yamaha mm 600 and that thing would outclimp all cat 600's. I own a viper, and my dad owns a black rx-1. I will go t othe up in a couple of years when i have the money.

QuadTrix6
11-04-2002, 04:43 PM
snowmobiling looks like a ton of fun but in new york we don't get enough snow :( have fun guys :D

tinner
11-04-2002, 05:18 PM
I've been up that way. It's great riding, hopefully there is snow this year. We usually stayed in Watersmeet at a little hotel. We rode up to the Porcupine Mts. on lake Superior. Really nice riding...you are running trails and logging roads. You can really wind them up. If you get that far go up to the overlook at lake of the clouds. About 8 years ago a guy from Minnesota took his sled off of there ( all the stairs were snowed over and it looked like a trail). The next morning National guard went to pick up his body and sled. Get this...the guy lived, he was pretty busted up but alive. He was very lucky because it is a long way down. I'm sure you could ask the locals about it and they would remember. I don't have a sled anymore, it is way too seasonal around here.

TRX250X
11-04-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm planning on heading to Munising after the first of the year with a couple of buddies. I'd love to head out West to do some mountain riding, but I'm gonna wait till I'm done with college and have a few more funds saved up. Hunda, how do you like your viper? I think they are sweet looking. I ride SkiDoo, but if I was going to go buy a new sled I would seriously look at one. I like the power of a triple motor. The speed rush they give is great.

11-04-2002, 09:50 PM
i busted out the kawasaki drifter a few times already:devil :D

quadfamily
11-04-2002, 10:07 PM
I can't wait to fire up the John Deere's !

TRX250X
11-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Yeah, you got to love the good old Deere sleds. Unstoppable.

mc250r
11-04-2002, 11:23 PM
GO TO CANADA! I have been snowmobiling for about 9 years now. I have been all over Michigan, U.P. and lower, Upstate New York and Maine. Canada is by far the best. I am from Columbus Ohio and it takes me 9-10 hrs to get to the U.P. I can be in Canada in 11hrs. and have much better riding and less people. pm me if you want some info on where to go.

enault
11-05-2002, 05:30 AM
I was born and raised in Upper Michigan. The snowmobiling is great. You won't find the mountainous terrain but the trail riding is great. I don't think you will have to worry about Munising, they always have snow. Head down to Lake Au Train for some fast lake running.

spliffy
11-05-2002, 08:36 AM
The UP Is Great , But There Is Alot Of Sledders Up There Especially If There Is No Snow Anywhere Else , We Have Stayed In Bessemer & In The Keeweenaw Peninsila By Houghton , Trails Are Awesome Everywhere & Plenty Of White Stuff.... I Can't Wait To Go Again :D

TRX250X
11-05-2002, 09:02 AM
I would love to go to Canada but it will be a few years before that happens. Is Munising or anywhere else in the Western UP as crowded as somewhere like Gaylord? I have been to Gaylord 3 or 4 times and know that it can be a madhouse when there is plenty of powder.

All you sledders out there have a safe season. It can be a dangerous sport when someone isn't thinking. I know that www.fishweb.com says there were 33 fatal crashes in Michigan last season. Be Safe - Ride Sober.

lil400exman
11-05-2002, 09:56 AM
i know its a tad early i go to white cloud riding area you can ride atv's and sleds and best part its empty there! great hills and mountains terrian look under michigan dnr under white cloud its a great stuff man i use my friends sled 92 poaris indy classic its a caddilac goin 80mph on the stright..i like his efi 750 though...:macho