View Full Version : C&D Racing or GT Thunder

national425ex
10-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I know this has been asked before, but Im going to be getting my stock shocks on my 450r rebuilt and revalved for a 170lbs XC rider. These are the 2 companys I have choose to use, but cant decide which one. Who has used what company with the best results. Im leaning toward C&D but just want to make sure. I know GT uses a link to lower the ride, and Colby says he can get the same effect without one but Im still torn between the two. Thanks for the help.

redrocker
10-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I had C&D revalve my 01 Raptor
shock and service my front axis
shocks and was very pleased
with the reworked rear shock
it was night & day the way the
bike handled with that said
my vote go's for C&D they will
be servicing my shocks from now
on VERY HAPPY WITH THEIR SERVICE
hope this helps

pro-rider46
10-19-2007, 07:53 PM
c&d seems like their better, i dont own either, but have read alot of stuff about the rebuilds, and c & d seem a lot better, and your also helping the site sponsor.

PS you dont need the linkage on the c&d to lower it, like you do on the gtthunders, so you can run aftermarket skid plates, and not have to hack them up to fit the linkage.

jb500ex
10-20-2007, 07:25 AM
gt thunder. the best guy in the business when it comes to suspension

rap169
10-20-2007, 08:20 AM
tough one. Ive had both, but my c&d was set up for mx where gt thunders are set for xc. Both perform very well, but i think my gt rear end has less buck.

Dave400ex
10-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I'd say the complete GT Thunder setup with the a-arms and new shock piston with rear linkage.

Huzler
10-22-2007, 01:34 AM
the GT link takes alot of the brake hop out. i noticed a difference after it was installed and i havent had my shocks revaled or sprung

j_cyrus3
10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
GT Thunder. He got my shocks on a Weds. and serviced the front and revalved and resprung the rear and sent them out the same day! I got them 2 days later. Awesome customer service, I say GT Thunder.

10-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Not sure about this 1. I am debating too but I do ot want to run the GT thunder rear link because i cant afford to cut my skidplate running xc type stuff where there are stumps and rocks

brandonpeake
10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
i have had stock 450r revalves from c and d and they wre better than elkas so i say he as dusty knows his stuff and has the best customer support i have ever experienced he has helped me with support over the phone just like friend would but im not putting down laz,

Turboderf
10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
gt thunder gets my vote they did a great job for XC i also have the link look at all the pros that used them. i cant say much about C&D because i dont anyone that used them here in florida . C&D gets my vote for parts they help me out with the valves & spring kit thanks to both good luck to you

Sjorge450R
10-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
i have had stock 450r revalves from c and d and they wre better than elkas so i say he as dusty knows his stuff and has the best customer support i have ever experienced he has helped me with support over the phone just like friend would but im not putting down laz,

The Derisi and GT linkages are damn near industructable. Call either of them and they both will say that they will take the abuse.

The thing with GT is, you can rarly get him on the phone. Everytime time I call Santo he answers and helps me with what i need.

Flynbryan19
10-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I have a GT thunder rear conversion and love it! I also have ridden a buddy's 450R that had C&D do his shocks first, then he had GT Thunder. He says he prefers the GT Thunder shocks. ;) I rode his before having my quad done and that was what sold me on GTT. :cool:

I too had to cut my skid, but its never an issue. The linkage is super tough and I really hardly ever hit it. No problems from me.

killroy
10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
i went with gtthunder. i picked him over c&d because he was not a site sponsor and because he had the name and where he was currently at with your shocks right on his website. he was also a lot cheaper. im very happy with them. I usually have santo do my revlves but at the time it was a VERY long wait and i needed them quick as in 3 weeks not at least a month. Santo does do everything himself and im not sure thats the same for Laz but whatever. Santo is good too if your not in a hurry. mine are also 170b XC and cutting the skidplate for these aftermarket linkages is fine. these linkages are actually stronger then just about every skidplate anyways

rap169
10-23-2007, 03:46 PM
well im still working on getting me gtt's dialed in. They keep getting better and better.

national425ex
10-25-2007, 08:32 PM
this sucks so much, I cant decide who to send my shocks to. C&D seems like your getting alot more for the price. He says there is basically nothing stock left on the shock when he is done. All new crossovers, I think new highflow valves. Laz told me the price is only for a re-spring and re-vavle. The high-flow vavle is an extra $170 per shock. Now Im even considering going to derisi racing. Most shocks I see that are for XC are dual rate fronts with single rate rear. Seems like most builders are going that route for XC and MX shocks are the triple rate front with dual rate rear. Which is what C&D are doing for both XC and MX shocks. Will I still get the softest ride even if they are triple rate and dual rate. Im trying to look at all the information I have got and make the best choice, but they all look like great shocks.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-26-2007, 07:56 AM
The springs are the most exspensive part of a rebuild 8 springs cost a lot more than 5. Our setup is a fuctional dual rate with a sag spring on the top to aid in lowering the ride height.

JJs450r
10-26-2007, 08:17 AM
i raced with c & d revalves they were great the rear shock is great

killroy
10-27-2007, 01:45 PM
i dont like how C&D dont use a new link though. IDK if they do now but I kno they didnt awhile back. they do need a new one