PDA

View Full Version : Painting rims with plan spray paint?

zdowell
10-18-2007, 08:10 PM
I am thinking of spray painting my rims. anyone done this and it hold up?

GOTFEAR
10-18-2007, 10:28 PM
as long as you dont ride it.

Badmammajamma
10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Too bad there's not a Krylon Fusion for metal:ermm:

nevadanotch
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I used to work for a spray paint company as their Quality Control Supervisor and in my personal observations it will work as long as you prep the surface properly. Do not expect to just clean the rims and then spray them with paint and expect the paint to hold up because it won't. The first time you get even a small rock bouncing around in the painted area it will take large chips out of the paint. You have to sand the rims with a fine grade sand paper to let the paint have something to adhere to. You can then use either a direct to metal paint or a good primer and then a good quality paint. I did this with a set of Douglas wheels and the paint is holding up very well! The beauty with the paint is if you do manage to damage the paint with the occasional rock, you can always repaint the wheel and it will look good as new.

10-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I did and it held up good. But I only drove on track not in the woods or tall grass.

Selland74
10-20-2007, 08:27 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p150/selland74/081707_112000.jpg

i did it. but i left the outside inch or so unpainted because thats the part that takes all the beating and paint would never last there. and i think it looks good.

theyve been painted for a couple months now and they still look great. (i also painted the hubs black)

first i cleaned them up, then put on primer. next i put on a couple coats of paint, and then 2 or 3 coats of clear to protect the paint.

i ride a lot (mostly woods) and theyre holding up good because nothing really scrapes the inside of the wheel.