PDA

View Full Version : How to keep up with a Banshee?

Dune Surfer
11-04-2002, 01:48 PM
Ok, I rode Glamis with some friends with Banshee's and their quads kicked my a**. Those things are soooo fast. It's not just top speed it's the snap. Look at my mods, I dont have a slow quad. What can I do to keep up without breaking the bank?
I really like my 416 but I am seriously considering selling it for a two stroke.
Any Ideas????

GT300
11-04-2002, 01:58 PM
If you can't keep up with them on your 416 then fight fire with fire and get a banshee. I don't know what else you could do that would make it much faster.

Texan32
11-04-2002, 02:18 PM
i would first get rid of that sprocket! A 14 tooth is only going to give you bottom end. You have plenty of mods to be running a 16 tooth. Stock is 15.

I think the only way you are going to be ably to really get up there is to sink the cash'ola into a stroker motor. Or maybe a 440 on alcohol.

Scott400EX
11-04-2002, 02:33 PM
ya gotta go bigger displacement to run with a Shee. I'd say go with a alcohol fed 493 that should do the trick!!!

marksuttonjr
11-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Sell it and buy a 250R. Then they won't be able to run with you, or at least that has been my experience when I was riding an R.

NTPRacing#19
11-04-2002, 04:15 PM
get a 14 tooth sproket then youll have a ton of bottom end with your mods. and then if you still arnt happy get a two stroke. 250r will blow by them with motor mods.

Sick0
11-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Tie you quad to the back with a rope. You will be able to keep up then.

Sparks425Ex
11-04-2002, 04:44 PM
I am thinking go with a Tc 505 Stroker like Chads. But ya gotta be careful to break in correctly. Right Chad?

AtvMxRider
11-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
Tie you quad to the back with a rope. You will be able to keep up then.
:eek:

optikid123
11-04-2002, 04:45 PM
get the sparks 465 stroker

phatswinn
11-04-2002, 05:17 PM
sorry but in order to keep up with a banshe.....you need a banshee, theres no other

gojk
11-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Take them to the MX track, then they will be wanting to change their bikes to keep up with you.

Chef
11-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by optikid123
get the sparks 465 stroker

[EDIT] No stroker on the sparks...heh;)

BKVIEW4U
11-04-2002, 05:43 PM
do you have a full exhaust ? it isnt listed in your sig. do you have a ported head? get the sparks x6 exhaust or the lrd race. get your head ported by lrd. and get rid of that 14 tooth sprocket. get a 16 tooth. unless there shees modded as your 400 you will out run them .if ther highly modded buy a 250r or get a stroker motor for the 400

Extremeracer167
11-04-2002, 06:09 PM
put a few turns in the track. Then u will be abel to keep up!!

trx400ex
11-04-2002, 06:11 PM
what is up with everyoen telling him to get a 250r? banshees are the kings of the dunes\drags....a 250r just wont keep up in the sand...sure you can get motor mods, but then you could have goten mods on the banshee and made it even faster..its been said before and will be said again, the only way to beat a banshee is on a banshee

11-04-2002, 06:14 PM
i get smoked by everyones shee's so im not gonna fight them, im just gonna have to join htem

Dune Surfer
11-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Keep the ideas coming guys. I don't have to beat them, but I want a lot more snap. I may rebuild this summer and go for a 465 stroker. If I do will it be close to a two stroke?

oregonrider89
11-04-2002, 06:38 PM
I think you should be ok with close to stock gearing. With my stroker I'm running 15/37 and can keep up all day. Your 416 shouldn't be far behind with stock gearing. And next time you buy paddles get 20x11x8 8 paddle haulers, they made a world of difference on my bike.

oregonrider89

Hey trx400ex, I think SandTrix would disagree with you on you about you kings of the dunes/drags.

ridinthedunes
11-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Nothing beats shees on the drags ( minus a few exceptions )
I just got rid of my shee and I don't miss it anywhere but the
drags.
If you want to beat shees.....get a shee!!

You could always get closer than you are now though. I'm
also thinking stroker. You just gotta keep throwing money
at it and it'll go faster;)

crashinmatt
11-04-2002, 07:18 PM
i believe first off, its time for a bigger carb. then start diggin into the motor if u still want more. id say fcr either 39 or 41 and if u want more power run it with alcohol.

Scott400EX
11-04-2002, 07:20 PM
get a quadzilla and then youll be able to hang mod it like crazy of coarse

11-04-2002, 07:36 PM
well i will have two shees when i sell my 400ex, i already have the drag shee :)

phatswinn
11-04-2002, 07:46 PM
o cool i was agreed with :D man im good, jk but really if ur just riding on sand get a shee no use moddint he **** outta a ex so u can keep up with one

z400ex
11-05-2002, 10:39 AM
It all depends on what you want....I love to drag race but i think i like jumping more. I would love to have a banshee for dragging but when it comes to jumping i would much rather have my 400ex although a 250r jumps quite well too. I am thinking about gettin a banshee but i think i would rather have a 250r becuz i can jump it and drag it besides everyone has a banshee i wanna b different.

ChadEXer
11-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
what is up with everyoen telling him to get a 250r? banshees are the kings of the dunes\drags....a 250r just wont keep up in the sand...sure you can get motor mods, but then you could have goten mods on the banshee and made it even faster..its been said before and will be said again, the only way to beat a banshee is on a banshee
Absolutely WRONG!!! My freind has a 250R that I guarantee you will make a Banshee piss all over itself!!! Also ask Santrix, he has an R that makes Banshees lick his butt!! Sandtrix and the guy that owns the quad in my attached pic have rode together and their bikes run like scalded ***** dogs!!) Here is the pic of my friends 350PV alky 250R,,,not many Banshees can even be competitive!!! Also, dont you know that the Sparks Raptor and 465EX beat a 420 long rod banshee up Oldsmobile Hill,,,,,Banshees dont rule the dunes anymore,,,,,except the ones that got 4 cylinder car motors in them:p

ChadEXer
11-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by NACS425Ex
I am thinking go with a Tc 505 Stroker like Chads. But ya gotta be careful to break in correctly. Right Chad?
Actually the breaking in isnt where the problem occured!! Its the fact that the carb was running lean when i got it, and I thought it was running rich so I leaned it out even more,,,an extremely lean condition caused the gasket to blow!!! The reason I thought it was rich was because it was actually idling rich, but when opened up the carb wast giving enough gas!!! So it was idleing rich but at 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 throttle it was running lean!!! it crazy to believe that my bike was running "lean" with a 41mm carb,,,but Tom assured me it was definatley way too lean when he took the motor back apart!!

nakomis0
11-05-2002, 11:31 AM
I say get a carb too.

Get everything in my sig. and you will be as fast or faster than a piped banshee, with V-force Valves, K&N filter and bigger carbs.

You will never beat the highly modded ones.

cheetah
11-05-2002, 01:08 PM
Get a POed LT500!!!:blah :macho

trx400ex
11-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer

Absolutely WRONG!!! My freind has a 250R that I guarantee you will make a Banshee piss all over itself!!! Also ask Santrix, he has an R that makes Banshees lick his butt!! Sandtrix and the guy that owns the quad in my attached pic have rode together and their bikes run like scalded ***** dogs!!) Here is the pic of my friends 350PV alky 250R,,,not many Banshees can even be competitive!!! Also, dont you know that the Sparks Raptor and 465EX beat a 420 long rod banshee up Oldsmobile Hill,,,,,Banshees dont rule the dunes anymore,,,,,except the ones that got 4 cylinder car motors in them:p

UMM let me see, i dont know how much a sparks 720 raptor kit or whatever size it was costs, or a 465EX, but i will bet that if that money is put into a banshee motor WISELY the banshee will be faster, why? beacuase it is a 2 cylinder 2 stroke THATS WHY!!! also dont you know that my friends blaster smoked my banshee in a 1/4 mile on asphalt.......oops i didnt say that my banshee was jetted wrong and i didnt shift out of 3rd gear,,,,,and those Rs you are talking about have alot of $$ into them, its all about $$ and everyone knows that, but if you just look at the motors themselves, a 250cubic centimeter 2-stroke and a 350cubic centimeter 2 cylinder 2 stroke, its easy to see which one can be massaged to put out the most HP...... okay....

stock banshee VS. stock 250r (equal riders) winner=banshee
piped 250r VS. piped banshee (equal riders) winner= banshee
ported 250r VS. ported banshee (equal riders) winner=banshee

unless you have the 250r ported by paul turner and the banshee by my aunt these are true....so, THE BANSHEE IS STILL KING OF THE DUNES, AND I THINK YOUR WRONG!:p

suck my pipe
11-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Banshee isnt all that buy a quad zilla and make it look like a toy if your that woried abought pure speed!!! Then put nos and pipes and boar it and do motor work see the Banshees hang with you then second choice of mine for dunes would be a 250R:devil :huh

Gusto
11-05-2002, 09:39 PM
Find nice hill that you can climb from the base at a dead stop, they find all your "shee" buddies and then race them to the top. You have to stack your cards right when running againt a banshee. You have a thumper, they have the powerband. Run them where they can't use that powerband. My buddy can't hang with me when it comes to straight power in hill climbing, but give him the running edge I'm toast. Remember, every machine has it's + and -, use you'res to your advantage and not race their race. If all else fails, take them for a long ride in the desert.....they will run out of gas before you do :p

nuttynewt
11-07-2002, 08:32 AM
Wear a pink t-shirt that says "I like Dick" next time you go ride and you will find a way to outrun more Banshees than you ever thought was possible...

Ricky g
11-07-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Keep the ideas coming guys. I don't have to beat them, but I want a lot more snap. I may rebuild this summer and go for a 465 stroker. If I do will it be close to a two stroke?

The 400 needs some internal motor mods before it will beat a shee, and it cost $$$, but if you can swing it, I'd keep the 400 and mod it, rightly modded 400's give the shee and 250R's nightmares, and you still have the four stroke reliability, while they have thier top ends off, you'll be out riding.........and there is nothing like embarassing a two stroker with the ol' 400....everybody will say it can't be done, talk to someone with a modded 400 first.

RG

Chef
11-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Hey Chad, how much do you think that guy has in the 350PV motor on alcohol? Well, look at it like this. For $3000, I could take my Banshee to a guy, have him pull the motor, make it a 392 with a 17:1 compression ratio, on alcohol, make it run, re install the motor, and I'm riding. For $3g, I have 110 horsepower banshee, that RUNS when I get it back. I doubt you can make an R make 110 horsepower with 3 grand.

ChadEXer
11-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Well he has worked at the Honda shop for a long time and he gets parts dirt cheap. Honestly Ive only seen 1 Banshee beat his R and it was by about 1 bike length!! I have seen him beat a 420 long rod Banshee all day!! Like he says,,,it may not be the fastest 2 stroke out there but those Banshee guys feel real bad when they get beat by a single cylinder R,,,even the crazy Banshees that can beat him cant believe they can look over and see that R running right with them!!! I know he has probably around $2000-2500 in his motor(his cost on parts) of course he does all the work himself!!!

loganB
11-07-2002, 04:11 PM
How fast is a stock Quadzilla?

Cheese_Head
05-10-2003, 04:56 AM
How fast is a stock Quadzilla?

A stock Zilla is freaking slow, once you mod them they are still slow, you wont find anyone running a Zilla up Olds Hill on T-Day because they are slow heavy turds, you wont find anyone running a 400ex either no matter how modded it is...You will only see Banshees so i dont remember who it is that said that Banshees werent King of the Hill anymore but that guy has to be on some sort of drugs or he didnt take his medications as prescribed!!!

southex
05-10-2003, 05:00 AM
my brother has a shee and it is great to go in a straight line:D

DeCap27
05-10-2003, 05:23 AM
GO with another sproket or get a hod mod and use raceing fuel.
other then that i think ur srewd..

SEcond prowd owner of a
89 fully restored LT500R

250EXking
05-10-2003, 09:18 AM
get a R. run it on alcohol. that will show them shee's up.

05-10-2003, 01:36 PM
option 1: kill them all so then they cant ride lol jj the real option 1: take them away from sand and get them on a track 2: get a sparks 465 national kit with alchohal 3: buy somethin better like a gas gas 2 stroke then woop up on them

moshman355
05-17-2003, 03:20 AM
look the shee is the best nobody ever wants to race me and mine is set for low end i run a 12 tooth front and mudmachines on the rear which by rites should really slow mine down but doesnt.i also run 2 into 1 motofast pipe.cant beat other banshees on the top but i smoke them for 300 feet.i raced a crf 450 bike and he got dusted for 200 feet then got past me. my friend has 2 honda 250 rs one is punched .60 over .smoked it.the other is stock brand new motor with pipe and jetting.smoked it. my brother in law has 92 lt 250r with ct national kit port and polished.smoked it.raptors? smoked em. ds 650?he ran away scared .looking for cannondale and ds 650 to dust on.sorry my friend but,you should by a shee to keep up with a shee::

Chef
05-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by moshman355
look the shee is the best nobody ever wants to race me and mine is set for low end i run a 12 tooth front and mudmachines on the rear which by rites should really slow mine down but doesnt.i also run 2 into 1 motofast pipe.cant beat other banshees on the top but i smoke them for 300 feet.i raced a crf 450 bike and he got dusted for 200 feet then got past me. my friend has 2 honda 250 rs one is punched .60 over .smoked it.the other is stock brand new motor with pipe and jetting.smoked it. my brother in law has 92 lt 250r with ct national kit port and polished.smoked it.raptors? smoked em. ds 650?he ran away scared .looking for cannondale and ds 650 to dust on.sorry my friend but,you should by a shee to keep up with a shee::

Your an idiot. :D

Chef
05-17-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Cheese_Head
A stock Zilla is freaking slow, once you mod them they are still slow, you wont find anyone running a Zilla up Olds Hill on T-Day because they are slow heavy turds, you wont find anyone running a 400ex either no matter how modded it is...You will only see Banshees so i dont remember who it is that said that Banshees werent King of the Hill anymore but that guy has to be on some sort of drugs or he didnt take his medications as prescribed!!!

So are you.:D

BIGRED400
05-17-2003, 06:35 AM
I got beat by a new Z-400 the other day and it was embarassing how bad and I can drive.It was a stock1 too , my 400 has a K&N airfilter, 165 main,whitebro.s e-series.......walked off and left me big time at the end?????Honda is waiting way too long.First gear is geared alot farther on the Z and the was the start of the end!!

White_Knuckles
05-17-2003, 07:39 AM
The ring-ding crowd is in for a surprise. Cal. will probably adopt laws flying around now that will kill all 2-stroke production. Watch NY legislation, as I write, they are making all 2-stoke outboards, watercraft, sleds, rec. dirtbikes and atv's illegal to sell. Yamaha announced they will not continue R&D on the Shee or Blaster as the US EPA restrictions will eliminate the largest market for them. The enviro-nazi's will win this round by grandfathering 2-strokes into obsolete products.

Of course the aftermarket will keep them alive awhile but what if States start making permits for riding areas illegal for 2-strokes? Track and racing bikes will be the last to kill but a slow death is alligned for all. Watch Honda's development they're hitting the watercraft line hard with new 4-strokes.

My point is, I wouldn't rush out and buy a Shee with future dreams the way things are going. California has stiff EPA restrictions, more reason for concern. Your Shee buddies will soon be posting here - how to get their new Honda's to keep up with you.

Cheese_Head
05-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Chef, stop it your hurting my feelings...:eek2:

Anyway if you can prove me wrong on what i wrote, wich wont happen beleive me, then i will apologize to you...;)

trx440
05-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Did we ever find out how the Banshees were modded? Where are they leaving you? At the hill, drags, big dunes, bowls? Too many variables and not enough info

BTW,
NOTHING BEATS THE BEST DRAG BANSHEES UP THE HILL IN THE ATV WORLD.

This isn't 300ft of sand at the fairgrounds in rural county, USA. Ole boy is ridin' in the Imperial sand dunes, where some guys BACK-UP vehicles are $100,000 turbocharged LS6 buggies.

Recognize, this ain't Kansas and nobody is bringin' Toto to the hill.

05-18-2003, 03:35 AM
y u makin fun of kansas, cuz lives in arizona like u and kansas sure as hell owns that lil sand pit of ****

RIDER11X
05-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Texan32
i would first get rid of that sprocket! A 14 tooth is only going to give you bottom end. You have plenty of mods to be running a 16 tooth. Stock is 15.

I think the only way you are going to be ably to really get up there is to sink the cash'ola into a stroker motor. Or maybe a 440 on alcohol.

Didn't see that in the sig, but a 15 / 36 or 35 is a huge improvement over the 14t front 38 rear. I run 15/ 36 in the woods with a stock motor.

trx440
05-18-2003, 04:50 AM
XxHonda,

What the he!! did you mean to say??

05-18-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by trx440
Did we ever find out how the Banshees were modded? Where are they leaving you? At the hill, drags, big dunes, bowls? Too many variables and not enough info

BTW,
NOTHING BEATS THE BEST DRAG BANSHEES UP THE HILL IN THE ATV WORLD.

This isn't 300ft of sand at the fairgrounds in rural county, USA. Ole boy is ridin' in the Imperial sand dunes, where some guys BACK-UP vehicles are $100,000 turbocharged LS6 buggies.

Recognize, this ain't Kansas and nobody is bringin' Toto to the hill.

trx440
05-18-2003, 10:56 AM
I know what I said.

What did YOU mean to say?

The only thing I got was, "y u makin fun of Kansas"

"This ain't Kansas anymore" is just a line from The Wizard Of Oz and a commonly used euphemism for saying this isn't small time, this is the Big Time.

05-18-2003, 04:09 PM
i c...my bad thought u was doggin on ks or somethin