PDA

View Full Version : opinions on break in please

WFO400
10-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Ok, I know there are two different procedures for breaking in a new piston/ honed or bored cyl. and a new hotcam. Hotcams says to not let it idle and vary the revs for something like a half hour, and doing some heat cycles is usually the best way to break in the piston/ cyl. So what do you do if you have a new hotcam and a fresh top end?? Any opinion is appreciated.

dragex400
10-18-2007, 10:03 AM
I have done 3 rebuilds with the details you have mentioned and I break the cam in then the piston. I usually start it up and take it to about 3000 rpms or a little more for about 15 min. Then I shut it down and let it cool off then I do it for about another 15 min, and that should take care of the cam. The reason for this is, the oilers do not pump very much oil at idle, so you have to get rpm's up to about 3000 so that there is enough oil in the top end to keep the new cam lubricated while it is settling in. As for the piston, after the cam break in I will put about an hour on it at half throttle or so burping the gas accasionally and keeping the engine up in r's. After that I just cut it loose. I usally do an oil change, filter, oil, and built in screen after about 3 hrs. of run time. All the different assemble greases and other stuff makes your oil look like choclate milk. This has always worked for me. Hope it helps you.