PDA

View Full Version : 250X First Gear

Racing Rice
11-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Im getting ready change the seal that goes around my from sproket on my 250X. While I was at it I was thinking about putting a new front sprocket on it.

First gear on my 250X feels like a serious dog. Almost like a granny gear in a 4x4 truck or something. Would putting a smaller gear make it worse or would it give me a little more power on lowend?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

danney f
11-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Front
Going smaller on front = more bottom end/less top end
Going larger on front = more top end/less bottom end
Rear
Going smaller on rear = more top end/less bottom end
Going larger on rear = more bottom end/less top end

One tooth differant on front = 2 teeth on the rear.

Hope this helps.

Racing Rice
11-04-2002, 04:17 PM
Cool, so if I go with the smaller front sprocket then 1st should feel a little more powerful?

Right now its really bad. Im pretty sure its still stock gearing too. I nail into it in first and it wont hardly pull the front tires off the grand, but second gear will pull them easy.:confused:

josh
11-04-2002, 04:51 PM
ya, i would go with a 12 tooth up front, that's what i put on my 250x and it really helped out a little on the low end and keeps climbing up to 5th gear, helped me out, i would say it was worth the $16, you will have to adjust your chain tho, there should be some alen bolts on the end of the swing arm, loosen those and stick a realy big screw driver or hammer end or somethin in there and rotate it untill the chain looks and feels good......jus my 2 cents

josh
11-04-2002, 04:57 PM
o, i just read your post, ya, i know, the 250x isn't geared tall enough to spin the tires fast enough to lift off the ground in first, so you could try going with a 12 tooth up front and also buying a 14 tooth for front, cuz stock is 13 so you could play with it.....but my bike acts the same way yours does.....so whatever, if ya just want to go faster in first go with a 14 tooth up front, a 14 should be quick enough to pull the front wheels off the ground but i'm not sure if the bike has the power to do it if geared taller, o well, you could try it

Racing Rice
11-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Thanks Josh.

Right now Im still trying to decide what I want to do with my quad. Id really like to sell it for something faster. But since I have this one, I may keep it and build it. Then give it to my wife and go by a 400EX later or something.

I just sent an email to Profab ATV about putting a 295cc kit on the 250X. I only live an hour or so away and that may hold me over for a while. So, we shall see.

Rastus
11-04-2002, 07:52 PM
I'd recommend re-gearing your quad beforeyou do motor work. After I had mine camed, bored, all that, I still didn't like how it got to the ground.

So, I decided to mess around with my gearing, Tried a 12 tooth front counter sprocket, that only made it worse. Lots of revvin, and lower speed.

So, I went bigger than stock at went to a 14t front sprocket. BEST thing I ever did so far to it. I found out I was going inthe right direction, so with input from the guys on the board, I got a 35 tooth rear sprocket, and :

VUAHHHLA

I recommend 14t in the front, and a 35-36 tooth in the rear, alot of guys around the board like this gearing alot.

Racing Rice
11-05-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by '92 : 250X er
I'd recommend re-gearing your quad beforeyou do motor work. After I had mine camed, bored, all that, I still didn't like how it got to the ground.

So, I decided to mess around with my gearing, Tried a 12 tooth front counter sprocket, that only made it worse. Lots of revvin, and lower speed.

So, I went bigger than stock at went to a 14t front sprocket. BEST thing I ever did so far to it. I found out I was going inthe right direction, so with input from the guys on the board, I got a 35 tooth rear sprocket, and :

VUAHHHLA

I recommend 14t in the front, and a 35-36 tooth in the rear, alot of guys around the board like this gearing alot.

What kind of sprocket is it. I dont recall seeing one so small when I was looking last night.

Rastus
11-06-2002, 03:43 PM
What are you meaning?
It's a Renthal 14t Front Counter Sprocket to be exact.

Just go to www.rockymountainatv.com, and click catalog at the top, (when your cursor is over it, it will say View the Olnine catalog)
The page will come up and it will have names of things. Search around till you find Sprockets, and Click it.
Then, when that page comes up, click Primary Drive Front Sprocket Honda.

When that comes up, there will be listings, and look at front sprockets for 250X/300EX. Theres front sprockets.

If you want to look at rear ones, jsut go back, and click primary rear sprocket, then the obvious steps after that.

Racing Rice
11-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by '92 : 250X er
What are you meaning?
It's a Renthal 14t Front Counter Sprocket to be exact.

Im sorry.. I meant for the rear sprocket. Most places I have found show a 37t rear sprocket as their smallest. Ill just call the guy at the local shop and ask him if he can get a 36t rear sprocket.