PDA

View Full Version : 2 different 400's and jetting

rigger
10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Here is the story..... Sea level, Charleston area SC

My 400ex is an 04' Just put a slip on HMF with the quiet core insert. UNI foam filter, air box lid is still on but I have really opened it up for more air flow.

Jetting I tried is 2 1/2 turns out on the mixture
42 pilot
stock needle in the third clip position
165 main

So far, it seems to run perfect. Plug is a nice light tan. Looks just right. Bike runs really strong. Big, big difference from stock.

My Buddy just got an 01 400ex, it has been sitting for a while and did not seem to be jetted correctly
Here is what he has

E-series full system, K&N filter, air box lid is opened up pretty good. It has a rev box.

His jetting is 2 1/2 turns on the mixture
stock pilot
needle is unknown position and type at the moment
and we put a 165 main in it just like we did on mine.

His seems to run a little sluggish at lower RPMs but runs great up top. His plug is a little sooty, not really dark but has a dry charcoal color to it.

Looking for tips on jetting help for my friends 400. I would have thought that they would have taken about the same in jetting. Guess I was wrong. The only really unknow is the needle type and position in his, we are going to find that one out.

Any tips on the E-series for jetting would be great.

Thanks.

JOEX
10-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I had an E-series slip on with K&N filter, 150 main jet everything else stock and it ran great year round from sea level to 3000'+.