PDA

View Full Version : oil

xtullyx16
10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Alright this will make me sound stupid and i just might be but today i was gunna go riding soo i checked my oil.. i knew i had to change it but i htouhgt oh well it can wait one day and i go and check the dip stick and theres none in there... i didnt fire it up or anything but would all of it be sittin in the engine?? i fired it up then turned it off and still there was none on the dipstick except like a speck.. whenever i change it i put about 3 quarts in and new filter.. im startin to hink my 400ex is burning oil.. what do u guys think?? i know i put the right amount in like 2 months ago.. im soo confused..

RazBarlow
10-17-2007, 07:03 PM
For one thing, you have waited two months to check your oil ? I am a firm Honda Fan but your heart to these engines is the oil. Where do you live ? I will just come pick it up right now before you hurt it too bad. I will give it a good home and keep it alive for another 20 years at least.
Thanks,
Raz

JOEX
10-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
Alright this will make me sound stupid and i just might be but today i was gunna go riding soo i checked my oil.. i knew i had to change it but i htouhgt oh well it can wait one day and i go and check the dip stick and theres none in there... i didnt fire it up or anything but would all of it be sittin in the engine?? i fired it up then turned it off and still there was none on the dipstick except like a speck.. whenever i change it i put about 3 quarts in and new filter.. im startin to hink my 400ex is burning oil.. what do u guys think?? i know i put the right amount in like 2 months ago.. im soo confused..
First.....

The motor should be fully warmed up prior to checking the oil level....

JOEX
10-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by RazBarlow
For one thing, you have waited two months to check your oil ? I am a firm Honda Fan but your heart to these engines is the oil. Where do you live ? I will just come pick it up right now before you hurt it too bad. I will give it a good home and keep it alive for another 20 years at least.
Thanks,
Raz
Last time I checked the oil was around June. Wanna come get mine too?:rolleyes:

...but that was also the last time I rode it:ermm:

xtullyx16
10-17-2007, 07:55 PM
ik but it still shouldnt be dry?? soo i have to warm it up fully?..it wasnt warmed up but shouldnt there atleast be sum in that tank?? its stock 400ex that i trail ride not race.. i do like to hold it open on the road.. thats all ..

JOEX
10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Proper way to check the oil level for the 400ex...

Bring the motor to operating temperature. Either by idling or riding. Be sure to let the motor idle for several minutes prior to turning it off. This is very important.

Turn off motor and let it sit for a few minutes on level ground.

Remove the dip stick, clean it off. Reinsert dipstick but DO NOT screw it back in. Remove and observe oil level.

Adjust as needed. Re install dip stick and go ride
:)

xtullyx16
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
thanks JOEX ill get oil and filter tomorrow since i get paid.. gn4 in my beautiful engine