PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams, use of decompression? urgent!

boosted3g
10-17-2007, 05:49 PM
From all the posts i have read everyone stats that you need to use the decompression function or it will not start. After reading my instructions for my Hotcams stage 1 it states "remove decompression plunger and spring from the cylinder head". Now do i remove it because hotcams instructions say to or do i leave it in like it was a factory cam. If i dont take it out will the assembly stay put or will it fall out and wind up in the crankcase.

HingeDisc07
10-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Do what the instructions say and take it out. I took mine out and havent had problems for a year now.

boosted3g
10-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Thank you for your reply. Ill be honest this is my first atv in about 12 years and back then i was riding a 250r. It took me a whole week to do a cam, slip on, air filter, and wiseco piston. I got a 07 left over last wednesday and decided it wasnt fast enough. Should fire it up in about a hour, the neighbors are going to love me.

Tonyw
10-17-2007, 07:49 PM
u dont need it with a hot cam !! u can take it out but i whould just toss it out the springs like $2.50 and the plunger like 12.50 plus the shiping u may need it at later time or some one may be looking for one.

boosted3g
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks again, just took it for a cruise through the hood and it started right up. I switched to a 42 pilot and it did not even hesitate with no choke and idled much better than stock. I wanted to give it some throttle but i played it cool, just need give it a few heat cycles to break it in before i rev it.

Selland74
10-17-2007, 10:33 PM
your actually supposed to run it above 3000rpm lightly for about 45 min to break in the cam. and be sure to keep the valves adjusted. they will go out of adjustment faster with an aftermarket cam.

CarGuy7a
10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
as far as starting issues. it will be fine. i've had mine in for about a year and a half and have had no starter issues.

boosted3g
10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Well i got my second heat cycle in today and everything is running good. Did laps in the corn field and it ran perfect. C&D should have the rest of my order here tomorrow and i can start tuning.