PDA

View Full Version : Kicker is goin on my ER.. help please

Flyin-Low
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm so ****ing frustrated right now.. this is my 3rd battery in my 06 ER.

Went out to the shop, hit the button and it fired up with the first crank over. Let it sit there and warm up for a few minutes then headed out to my track.

Put in about 3 or 4 quick laps then I over shot a jump and went into the berm and stalled it. Went to fire it up and it cranked over slowly 4 or 5 times then there wasn't even enough juice to turn it over..

Can I JUST put in the kick starter parts and not change anything else for now? My plan is to maybe completely convert it to a kickstart eventually..

Will an ER harness and CDI work well with the kicker?

And can I get a parts list?

-Martin

pro-rider46
10-17-2007, 02:38 PM
you can run the kicker and the starter for now. and the cdi will have to be a kicker, and you would need a gasket for the case, and of course the shaft and gear for the kicker, dont quote me on that, because i have a 2005 and dont know anyone with a 06. but i think that covers it.

Flyin-Low
10-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the help pro-rider..

No one else can help? Thanks guys :rolleyes:

-Martin

gnccguy
10-17-2007, 09:06 PM
all u need is the kick gears, spring, seal, 1 shaft, 2 barings. ur electric system and everything else will work it wolnt b cheap tho. i dont remember right but i think it was like 24 pieces

ryann mx68
10-18-2007, 05:40 AM
parts list
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=286872&highlight=kicker+conversion

stumpleg
10-18-2007, 07:03 AM
I don't think you need the kicker CDI if you keep the e-start. I am doing this to mine as well, but leaving the e-start for starts. I can't kick it on the start, but in the woods when it stalls, I know I can kick it much faster than it will by pushing the button.

chad502ex
10-18-2007, 08:36 AM
the parts list is accurate...

don't forget the Condenser... The Condenser is a capacitor used to store a charge for the CDI to use on startup... Since the kicker has no battery to supply power to the CDI, the Condenser is used to provide just enough energy for the CDI to work on startup...

the wiring harness for the electric start and the kick start is different... the kick harness has a plug where the Condenser plugs into it... if your good you can 'splice' it into place...

IMSROLL450R
10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
I kept the battery and also redid the starter gears for the electric start so I can use both and didnt have to change the condensor. So I guess if my battery goes dead it wont start even with the kicker???????????

gnccguy
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
if u leave the estart all u need is the kicker parts its a easy job

gnccguy
10-18-2007, 10:52 AM
if u leave the estart all u need is the kicker parts its a easy job

chad502ex
10-18-2007, 11:59 AM
yes, I actually have done both where I left the electric on after I installed the kicker.....

but if you disable the battery without the Condenser its extremely difficult to start

IMSROLL450R
10-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
yes, I actually have done both where I left the electric on after I installed the kicker.....

but if you disable the battery without the Condenser its extremely difficult to start

Good to know.

Flyin-Low
10-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex

Hmm, thanks for the help!

So what your saying is if my batter is dead it will still be very hard to start?

If I purchase a condenser, and splice it into the ER harness.. will it work well in conjunction with the electric starter?

-Martin

chad502ex
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Hmm, thanks for the help!

So what your saying is if my batter is dead it will still be very hard to start?

If I purchase a condenser, and splice it into the ER harness.. will it work well in conjunction with the electric starter?

-Martin

ya know what,... this discussion has gotten a bit further than what I wanted....

but,...

both the electric and kick versions have a condenser, but they are not the same.... one is meant for the electric and one is meant for kick... the kick condenser is cheaper and a different value capacitor than the electric condenser... i'm unsure right now, if the plug and the mounting is the same for each condenser, but if your switching to kick use the kick condenser...

gui96
10-18-2007, 04:41 PM
the ER dont have condenser, only on the R

If you still have the baterie you dont need the condenser

I have done the full conversion on my ER , i use the 04-05 condenser its like 35$, the 06-07 R condenser cost alot more

The ER CDI work , its not the same because of the neutral light and someting else

chad502ex
10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by gui96
the ER dont have condenser, only on the R

If you still have the baterie you dont need the condenser

I have done the full conversion on my ER , i use the 04-05 condenser its like 35$, the 06-07 R condenser cost alot more

The ER CDI work , its not the same because of the neutral light and someting else

hey man how ya been? good to see ya around....

I goofed slightly,...what I meant to say is that the 04/05 kicker is a different condenser than the 06-8 kicker.... the 04/05 condenser is about $25 in the USA, and the 06-08 kicker condenser is about $95 in the USA.... obviously the 04/05 kicker condenser is cheaper.....

and YES, the electric does not have a condenser but both the kicker and electric has RECTIFIERS/REGULATORs, which is where I got twisted with...

thanks for untwisting my mind there,... its great to see ya again...

gui96
10-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I look here every day , i dont post alot

the 05 condenser work good for me real easy to install, i have picture i tink

I have engine projet i want to talk with you :D

chad502ex
10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by gui96
I look here every day , i dont post alot

the 05 condenser work good for me real easy to install, i have picture i tink

I have engine projet i want to talk with you :D

shoot me a pm.

89dc240
10-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Um, how about figuring out why your battery isn't recharging and ditch the kicker idea all together. I mean don't get me wrong, I love my kicker, but you have a problem and it's probably not the battery unless you are leaving the lights on or somethin when the bikes not runnin.

I know electricity is a pain in the BALLS, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out whats not doin it's job.

gui96
10-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Here is how to install 04-05 condenser on 06-08 ER

I made a conection with a 15A fuse

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/gui96/PICT2142.jpg

And plug in the conector for the charging system

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/gui96/PICT2144.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/gui96/PICT2143.jpg

You need to remove the neutral light , because the condenser discharge and its harder to start

Flyin-Low
10-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by 89dc240
Um, how about figuring out why your battery isn't recharging and ditch the kicker idea all together. I mean don't get me wrong, I love my kicker, but you have a problem and it's probably not the battery unless you are leaving the lights on or somethin when the bikes not runnin.

I know electricity is a pain in the BALLS, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out whats not doin it's job.

Charging is not the problem at all.. I'm getting an awesome charge from the stator. It's just the fact that these batteries are so small and have to crank over a brute of an engine they get beat up quickly.. And since I ride everyday they don't last long.

I just want a kicked so when my electric decides to crap out I don't have to walk home.

-Martin

89dc240
10-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Understandable. I hate to walk with all my gear on and over rough terrain and hopin one of the guys decided to bring the jumper pack that day, lol. Glad I already have a kicker.