PDA

View Full Version : Lights, Valves Seals, and Oil Resevoirs, OH MY!

thisperishedmin
10-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Alright, a few dumb questions.

I've had this parked for a while due to some dumb issues and generally being broke...

ive soon got my car squared away again so i can get her on the trails again.

My first issues is that it smokes like a fiend. For a while it was just when starting up, and now its getting worse and worse. In fact, shes starting to look like my old 2smoker. Im assuming this is valve seals - people who have done this before - any confirmation? Should i just get valve seals at the local dealer or is there a better aftermarket place to get them. How involved is the swap timewise, just so i know what im getting into...

Secondly, the oil resevior has split in a circle around the top threads coming in...the oil leaks out on return and makes a mess, the reservoir is irreparable...I need a new one which is no real/big problem...but again - do i just buy one used, do i buy something aftermarket, or just grab a new dealer one? Has anyone ever had their tank split/crack/anything else before? The only thing I can think of is the previous owner powder coated it, and its not meant to handle that. Any thoughts from anyone?

Lastly, LET THERE BE LIGHT! Winters coming and the only time we'll get out is late night snows...the wiring harness was stripped down so im looking to do the tailight/brakelight mod. Ive already got a R6 3 wire tailight and ill be getting the needed sensors. So my question is more so....What do I do for adding headlights and a switch? Any good kits / lighting mounting spots...better aftermarket switches? General doller store switches - and howd you guys wire in? Id just like a general idea before i start cutting and splicing **** up lol.

Thanks alot for any help, I know theres a ton going on here but im DYING to ride again. Enlighten me folks :)

Thanks in advance!

QuadManiac
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Regarding the smoking: Is it black or blue smoke?

If black, then it's probably just a gunked carb from sitting too long with old gas evaporating out of it. A good disassembly and cleaning should take care of it.

If it's blue, then it is likely oil and the valve stem seals may be the most logical starting place.

Regarding the oil tank: Used ones are usually available on eBay for pretty cheap.

Good Luck!

glamiskid395
10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
lights- if you want cheap way to do it, go to pepboys or your local autoparts store, and pick up some 40-50 dollar, 55W lights.
they work good and you dont need a new stator.
just mount them on your handlebars, and wire them to the battery.
the switch: i drilled a hole next to the neutral light and used a rocker switch with a small L.E.D. (makes it look factory according to my dad)

i've had a set on my 400 for about 2 years now and they are working great. they havent killed the battery, so i havent invested in a new stator yet.
last season my dad put a similar set onto his 250ex and are working great.

heres how i mounted mine.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/glamiskid395/mikey071-1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/glamiskid395/mikey070-1.jpg

billyboy
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Man that is a cool set up for light! I am going to stop on the way home and snag a set of those so I can put my quadtech back on!:devil:

thisperishedmin
10-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I think I'll just go with something off of ebay and spray it some white or ****ty orange/gray/silver to match as best as I can ...the powdercoated one does look pretty sweet with the frame :blah:

In regards to the smoke...its a whitish color more than anything, certainly not black....maybe a gray or blue though? Is it possible to buy just valve seals and not have to replace the valves? i didnt come across anything on ebay...I'll have to check with the local dealer I suppose. In regards to the carb idea, its been getting worse with time irregardless of the regularity of being used, so I tend to lean away from the idea. Thanks for the thought though!

Those lights actually look pretty good on there Ive gotta say :). You said you ran it off the battery lead but havent had any problems? it draws power from the motor while running than? That would be AMAZING and make my life SO MUCH easier if its true haha! I'll probably wire my tailight in the same way. Confirmation that I'm understanding you right would be awesome :)

Btw, that does look pretty factory ;) haha. Ive got 250r plastics so my key is mounted down off the side...its far from factory lol. But I'll have to find somewhere to work the switch in too. Thanks a ton for the great help!

gcart2
10-20-2007, 04:58 PM
well if its burning more oil than before it was smoking its prob your piston rings.... you can get a set of ring and a hi comp piston for under 200 bucks (the piston is not necessary)

TRX-330
10-20-2007, 08:13 PM
if its white/gray smoke like you stated rings are bad. and you also stated that there is more smoke now then ya rings are bad. if its not smoking really bad yet you might be able to get away with just rings. butt if worn enough it will scrape the cylinder and will have to be bored.
Hope this helped
Oh btw for the lights.
well i bought some kc high lights for mine and wired it to the old on of switch wires and ran a switch that came with the lights. its kinda hard butt all you have to do is find the power wire and you will be good.

glamiskid395
10-20-2007, 09:38 PM
to reasure you on the lights i put on my 400.
i wired the lights directly to the battery, the key does not have to be on to work.
the battery has not yet died after 2 years and still has plenty of voltage to start the bike.
Now i have 180 watts of lights on the front of my bike. (2 35W stock lights and the 2 additional 55W lights.)

i recommend this to anyone on a budget!

Big - D Racing
10-21-2007, 07:02 PM
i'd say you need new piston rings and a fresh hone on the cylinder to be safe. I had my stock oil tank crack the same way your did. I bought an aftermarket one that holds an additional qt. of oil over stock.

gojk
10-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I have an extra oil tank that I will let go for cheap. There isn't anything wrong with it, I just replaced it with a UM tank.

thisperishedmin
10-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll PM you about the oil tank! :)

I'll probably just play it safe and do the rings than too if general consensus seems to find it worthwhile...