PDA

View Full Version : attn: computer nerds

derekhonda
10-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Ok, ive never even heard of a .rar file, but I have been using them lately for a project and downloaded some "win rar" program. Problem is, some of the files i need to download don't allow me to see because they have been archived (not really sure what that means) Anyways, the windows help thing has told me this:

Volumes are parts of a split archive. Volumes are supported only by the RAR archive format, so you cannot create ZIP volumes. Generally volumes are used to store a large archive on several diskettes or other removable media.

By default RAR volumes have names like 'volname.partNNN.rar', where NNN is the volume number. Using -vn switch it is possible to switch to another, extension based naming scheme, where the first volume file in a multi-volume set has the extension .rar, following volumes are numbered from .r00 to .r99.

Volumes may also be solid and self-extracting. The first self-extracting volume has a different (i.e. not .rar) file extension identifier, for example .exe for DOS SFX volumes.

It is impossible to add, update or delete files in created volumes.

To unpack volumes you need to start extraction from the first volume. If volumes are stored on non-removable media like a hard disk, you need to put all volumes in the same folder before starting extraction.

So, does anyone have a program they would recommend that would allow me to see all images instead of only about 70% ? Thanks

Ralph
10-17-2007, 04:41 PM
The only thing i know is that if its a multi-piece .rar file you need all the pieces . 1.rar 2.rar 3.rar etc.

then when you have all the files you start unpacking the first and it will automatically go through all the pieces and give you one file.

i think it used win-rar the last time i had to as well

Rip_Tear
10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Ralph sounds right. I don't think another program is going to help. You just need to get all the rar files in the same place and start with the first file and just continue in sequence...

derekhonda
10-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
The only thing i know is that if its a multi-piece .rar file you need all the pieces . 1.rar 2.rar 3.rar etc.

then when you have all the files you start unpacking the first and it will automatically go through all the pieces and give you one file.

i think it used win-rar the last time i had to as well

Ralph, I think I love you :D

Thanks bud, that was the ticket. Thanks AGAIN!!!!